Questions for householders

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: Questions for householders

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Well, I feel, that householders can be and are, just as Enlightened and qualified as any Master in the Past...there is not much historical referrence to "mundane" household practitioners...the stuff that is past down in oral traditions and historical text is just that...not based in the NOW which is not history...
jay88

Post by jay88 »

Thank you all for your answers to these questionsthat have been on my mind. I think retreat is the best choice for me now . And I will ask my guru when he returns . :namaste:
jay88

Post by jay88 »

One more thing has anyone thought about buying some land and making a retreat center? I have been saving for a few years now and have been trying to find out how it would be possible. I don't live in the states right now but when I do come back I would love to live and work closer to the dharma. I know it is not possible for many people to leave their jobs and open a retreat center and still take care of their families, but I haven't work or loved in the states for years. I have been able to save a good amount of money over this time and I would like it to benefit my family and anyone who would like to practice. I know my current job is not needed back in the States and I would be much happier practicing everyday for long periods then working a 9-5. My wife also would enjoy this and I would like my son to be able to grow up around like minded people.
1. So if you wanted to create a retreat center in America what state do you think would be the best place to start?
2.How many acres do you think you'd need?
3.How close to a town or city should it be?
4.What States do you feel would be.welcoming to this kind of thing?
5. If you have experience starting a retreat center please chime in.

Thank you for your help in advance I don't have a Sangha where I live so talking to you all on this site is a great support system for me. :namaste:
Kris

Post by Kris »

jay88 wrote:One more thing has anyone thought about buying some land and making a retreat center? I have been saving for a few years now and have been trying to find out how it would be possible. I don't live in the states right now but when I do come back I would love to live and work closer to the dharma. I know it is not possible for many people to leave their jobs and open a retreat center and still take care of their families, but I haven't work or loved in the states for years. I have been able to save a good amount of money over this time and I would like it to benefit my family and anyone who would like to practice. I know my current job is not needed back in the States and I would be much happier practicing everyday for long periods then working a 9-5. My wife also would enjoy this and I would like my son to be able to grow up around like minded people.
1. So if you wanted to create a retreat center in America what state do you think would be the best place to start?

Thank you for your help in advance I don't have a Sangha where I live so talking to you all on this site is a great support system for me. :namaste:
I think Missouri would be a good place to settle for a retreat. Alabama as well.
There is a house in Missouri where I spent some months doing japa practice. The owner lives in L.A., he has land in Hawaii and Colorado. Unfortunately he is not a Buddhist but practices in the lineage of Tinkadi Baba. So it would take some intrest to get him to have it strictly for Buddhist(He does appreciate the Buddhist system and has received some teachings). I have been trying recently to crack his shell more, so the house can be for retreats, so I pray he comes around soon.
At least for me again :tongue:
Attachments
552227_555862774429410_1843673087_n-1.jpg
552227_555862774429410_1843673087_n-1.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
374062_554235281258826_1615869097_n.jpg
374062_554235281258826_1615869097_n.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
679938_558855460796808_286930347_o-1.jpg
679938_558855460796808_286930347_o-1.jpg (245.89 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

jay88 wrote:One more thing has anyone thought about buying some land and making a retreat center? I have been saving for a few years now and have been trying to find out how it would be possible. I don't live in the states right now but when I do come back I would love to live and work closer to the dharma. I know it is not possible for many people to leave their jobs and open a retreat center and still take care of their families, but I haven't work or loved in the states for years. I have been able to save a good amount of money over this time and I would like it to benefit my family and anyone who would like to practice. I know my current job is not needed back in the States and I would be much happier practicing everyday for long periods then working a 9-5. My wife also would enjoy this and I would like my son to be able to grow up around like minded people.

Funny questions :smile:

First of all, the obvious answer: Do whatever your guru thinks is best! It might not include making a retreatplace.

Second, are you aware that there are already many retreatplaces in the US? And I mean a LOT? Why not get involved with one of the sanghas that already exist?

If it was me, due to my connection to Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, I'd probably go to the amazing Gomde California. Other than that though, it seems that Crestone, Boulder, Colorado, is the place to be. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere, that turned into a spiritual community, full of Tibetan Buddhist Centers, stupas, retreatplaces, partly because of the laws and regulations that make it easy to start these things.

But really, there's so many more options.

If I'd be in the position of financial freedom, I'd not decide online where I'd settle down :smile: Instead, I'd travel around, meet all these wonderful places, people, teachers. Do some practice here and there. See what you like, see what happens.

Enjoy :twothumbsup:
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”