Where to begin?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
BigBuddhaBashing

Where to begin?

Post by BigBuddhaBashing »

I am still trying to figure out what Buddhist school is best for me, if any, and my attention has been turned to Tibetan Buddhism. I would like to read about it. Can anyone help me out? Preferably PDFs, I'm not in a position to purchase books. Thank you.
Simon E.

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Simon E. »

My recommendation would be to take your time..and visit the centres of various schools in person rather than reading about them. :namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

You can also watch videos on youtube, way better than boring old reading!

But the best option like Simon E. said is to visit centers, especially if you intend vajrayana.
BigBuddhaBashing

[visit centers, especially if you intend vajrayana.][/quote]

[ visit the centres of various schools in person rather than reading about them.][/quote]

Thank you both, but the thing is, I can't find a teacher immediately, because I live in the middle of country side. My nearest Tibetan Buddhist centre is hours away. I will move eventually, but if I find a connection to Vajrayana, then it will be quicker, but even then, I won't find that connection unless I read enough to know that I'm interested.
BigBuddhaBashing

tiagolps wrote:You can also watch videos on youtube, way better than boring old reading!

But the best option like Simon E. said is to visit centers, especially if you intend vajrayana.
Could you recommend any videos in particular?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

BigBuddhaBashing wrote:
tiagolps wrote:You can also watch videos on youtube, way better than boring old reading!

Could you recommend any videos in particular?
Watch the documentaries, "Words of my perfect teacher" and "Glimpses of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche" :smile:
BigBuddhaBashing

tiagolps wrote:Watch the documentaries, "Words of my perfect teacher" and "Glimpses of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche" :smile:
Thanks.
philji

Post by philji »

Perhaps focus on the basics before you worry about a school or tradition.. That will unfold as time goes by. Visit local groups if you can and see what they can teach you.
Basics probably include
Four noble truths
Four thoughts which turn the mind to dharma
and of course developing a simple daily meditation practice.
:namaste:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”