Tibetan horoscope

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pael

Tibetan horoscope

Post by pael »

I'm interested on Tibetan horoscope.
Does Tibetan horoscope tell your past life?
Does Detailed Horscope in English contain Astrological Birth Deity?
Do they know which countries use day light saving time?
I mean Men-Tsee-Khang.
Can you tell your experiences? Can you tell what is your past life? Does Tibetan horoscope tell other interesting things?
I consider ordering it.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
diamind

Re: Tibetan horoscope

Post by diamind »

pael wrote:I'm interested on Tibetan horoscope.
Does Tibetan horoscope tell your past life?
Does Detailed Horscope in English contain Astrological Birth Deity?
Do they know which countries use day light saving time?
I mean Men-Tsee-Khang.
Can you tell your experiences? Can you tell what is your past life? Does Tibetan horoscope tell other interesting things?
I consider ordering it.

Hi Pael,

So Ive order three horoscopes from the men-tse-khang. My birth deity chart, medical chart and my detailed horoscope. A friend was recommend by his guru to get his done so I thought it must be worth while doing.
So what I can tell you is this... when you order your deity chart you also get the option to ask about your past life which I did, turns out I was a yaksha, some kind of demon-cannibal ahaha
It's interesting but kinda useless to know. There's no real benefit I'm aware of to know this...for instance if you have the courage to ask a Lama this kind of question he is likely to tell you to focus on something more important like.. recognizing the true nature of mind!
As for knowing your deity, medical chart and your detailed horoscope this is of much more use. You will know which deity you are closest too so you can focus on that sadhana, you will receive advise about how to alleviate your illness and in regards to the detailed horoscope you will know all your obstacles years to come, so you can prepare and focus on different practices and organize specific pujas for those obstacle year.
I would highly recommend these charts.
Also dont expect to get it quickly, maybe 3 months for your deity chart which you will receive via email and add another 3 months onto that for your full horoscope but sooner of later you will receive a nice surprise in your mail box.
I hope this is of some use. Ill try and post a sample : ) if your interested.
pael

Post by pael »

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm interested to see a sample.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

diamind wrote: Ill try and post a sample : ) if your interested.
Yes please.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
diamind

Post by diamind »

Medical Chart

After going through your medical background and assuming your questions with calculations as per elemental astrology, from Buddhist point of view, I will relate it to past karmic factor as every suffering in this life is a result of our past karma and no one can escape from suffering. However, if you still have a problem with digestion, abdomen problems and etc. I will suggest you to take Tibetan medicine for few more months. Since Tibetan medicine is very effective for abdomen, indigestion and etc but you need to take it for longer period and you should always be careful about your daily diet. Moreover, you may witness ups and downs in your health in year 2016 too. Next year, you may face some problem in fulfilling your dream, may face danger from thief or lawsuit. You may be bothered by sudden unexpected accident or might be bothered by blood related disease. You should be careful from fire which may cause disaster to your house. So to ward off the obstacles, you should pay offerings to the religious practitioners in the religious ceremony and provide the medication to the sick and poor people. You should spare the lives of animals intended for slaughter from the butcher’s hand.
Causes for these diseases can be like; in past you might have visited to some isolated place or due to wrong livelihood or dietary behavior. So, will suggest you to take good care of your dietary behavior and do not involve in activities which is related in harming environment. Moreover, you are suggested to avoid visiting an unclean area, construction sites and don't indulge in activities like cutting of trees, grinding of stone, spring water, swimming etc and keep your kitchen hearth very neat and clean always. Or else some other ailments like bile or blood disorder, heat stroke, indigestion etc are likely to trouble your peace of mind. As a remedy, you are suggested to offer a decorative item to religious centre or offer a donation for religious purposes. Provide a medical aid to ailing people and try to save a life of water dwelling animals and if possible, then throw a feast to religious personalities. With this your pain may be lighten and you will earn good merits too.
diamind

Post by diamind »

Deity Chart

You were cannibal demon in your previous life. As a sign of that, you are smooth speaker, you have strong mind set and you have serious facial expression. Moreover, you have birthmark or mole on your left thigh, hips, right hand, heart, shoulder, neck or front or back body part. If you have such mark then it is a confirmation of your previous life. However, in order to avoid being reborn in lower realm, you are suggested to consecrate the statue or Thangka of (deities name- Its secret, dont tell anyone thats why ive omitted it) and white wash stupas. Accumulating maximum good merits may help you to attain a life of human form again. .(colours ommited) favorable colors. So, wearing a clothes or keeping a property of these two colors may bring more comfort in your life and it will help you to enhance your fortune.
diamind

Post by diamind »

Detailed Horoscope.

So the detailed horoscope is mailed out to the customer, you can also requested a scanned version which they can email.
Because of this I cant cut and paste and offer you a sample. Its two pages long, it has really in depth detail about your personality and different circumstances you will face in your obstacle years. It starts from birth until old age. For instance from my birth till age 16 this is what it saids...

" it was generally a favorable period for you during which you had memorable time with your friends and relatives. You were intelligent and active and surmounted yourself very well in your studies. Especially at school, you have earned great deal of fame and you have managed to keep a very good relationship with friends and well wishes during that period. Moreover your health seems to be also at its best without any serious disease indicated for you"

This is just a very small snap shot of the horoscope. Mine didn't come with a birth deity, so I would confidently say this is a separate service.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Are you satisfied with the service diamind?
diamind

Post by diamind »

amanitamusc wrote:Are you satisfied with the service diamind?
Sure, my only complaint is communication with Men-tse-khang. They always returned my queries but only after many, many weeks if not months. It's a slow service even to ask a question.
pael

Post by pael »

diamind wrote:

This is just a very small snap shot of the horoscope. Mine didn't come with a birth deity, so I would confidently say this is a separate service.
When I asked they said 'The Detailed horoscope will include the explanation, will mention
your previous life and will also include the Astrological Birth Deity. '
I sent same question many times. I have not ordered yet.
Do you recommend Astrological Birth Deity or Detailed horoscope?
diamind

Post by diamind »

pael wrote:
diamind wrote:

When I asked they said 'The Detailed horoscope will include the explanation, will mention
The detailed horoscope I ordered doesn't include the birth deity and the past life, but maybe if I had requested at the time of ordering they may have added free of charge. The detailed horoscope is kinda expensive. I'd recommend both. Specially if you don't have a root lama to ask who your deity is.
diamind

Post by diamind »

pael wrote:
diamind wrote:

The detailed horoscope I ordered doesn't include the birth deity and the past life, but maybe if I had requested at the time of ordering they may have added free of charge. The detailed horoscope is kinda expensive. I'd recommend both. Specially if you don't have a root lama to ask who your deity is.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

How can I also order one for myself?
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
pael

Post by pael »

Wayfaring_Man

Post by Wayfaring_Man »

Hi, I am training as an astrologer with Jonang Khenpo Rigdzin Dorje, and can write a little bit about this. There are two families of Tibetan astrology, called kar-tsi and nak-tsi or jung-tsi. The former is based on the Kalachakra tantra and brings a lot of the associated Vedic astrological information. The latter is usually translated as "elemental astrology" and is related to the Chinese astrological system (there is some debate over whether it went from China to Tibet or vice versa). Men-tsi-khang's horoscopes usually use some of both, but it is common practice for the astrologer to choose based on his own judgment what particular calculations to perform unless they are requested.

The Kalachakra based system tends to be used for bigger picture things and for past and future life predictions, though those elements also exist in elemental astrology. The elemental system of astrology is used for a wide variety of things. Perhaps the most common, and all of the training that I have completed so far, is the calculation of obstacles for people for a given year, date, time, and so on. For example, this year generally is a "black year" (2-black mewa, Monkey year) and so is generally not considered good. If a person is, for example, born in the Tiger year, this year will be extra bad because Monkey is the opposing-enemy of the Tiger. If they are born in a Fire Tiger year, it will be again not so good because the elements are the same, which is inauspicious. Elemental astrology looks at the 60 year cycle of animals and elements, as well as the mewas (magic number tables) and parkhas (geomantic directions similar to the Bagua 8-trigrams) for a person and their family, and compares these to the elements, animal signs, mewas, and parkhas for a given hour, day, month, and year. This practice is called gek-tsi, or obstacle-calculation.

Additionally, there are calculations specifically for sick people, geomancy for locations, planning for children and families, and determining how different people will interact, business, and so on. Many different disciplines just within the jung-tsi. There are provided in the book I am training with loose descriptions of the probable personalities of people born in different years in the 60 year cycle, as well as for each animal sign generally, for the mewas and parkhas of birth, and how they will get along with families. All of this includes also descriptions of the best practices or minimum practices required to avoid lower rebirths or so on. Any time obstacles are identified, the practices to escape from those obstacles are provided - for example, if the life-force is weak one should attend tse-drups and receive tse-wang, if health is weak one should practice good hygiene and practice Medicine Buddha, clean temples, and so on, if it is very weak they should change their name and take on meritorious commitments that take a long time, and so on.

I think an important thing to keep in mind with regards to Tibetan astrology is that it isn't the issues that are the thing to focus on but instead the solutions and resolutions. It is not so important if your mewa says you were an elephant and will become a sheep or something. It is mainly important to practice Dharma and so on, and to perform the rituals necessary to mitigate obstacles that can be avoided. If it's a sky-door year and you have danger from heights or balconies and so on, maybe don't fly planes or climb mountains! But there's no need to be afraid of things or to let astrology rule over you if you're a Dharma practitioner. Astrology is a tool provided by the Turtle-Manjusri for those of us who lack the wisdom eye to help make decisions and protect ourselves from obstacles, but it's not something to become obsessive about. Because all of it is based on karma, practicing well the Dharma will protect from all of it. As Dharma Lord Jigten Sumgon says in Gong Chig - "Magnificant Bodhicitta is the supreme wheel of protection." So while astrology can be very useful, it is also a potential trap to become attracted to and distract from actually practicing Dharma.
Wouldn't it be best to resolve to be done with business and distraction?
Although you serve your superiors, they will never be pleased.
Although you care for your subordinates, they will never be satisfied.
Although you consider the wishes of others with affection, they will never give you a thought.
Think about it, make a definite choice.
~ Patrul Rinpoche, "The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones"
Wayfaring_Man

Post by Wayfaring_Man »

From the images here it looks like the detailed horoscopes are using the Vedic charts that show planetary influences and so on, so they are definitely doing the Kar-tsi. You can see above the birth year and elements as well as the mewas, which come from the jung-tsi, and then the planetary influences and stars are on the lower chart. For the price I would also assume there is an extrapolation of the meanings of those arrangements and alignments.
Wouldn't it be best to resolve to be done with business and distraction?
Although you serve your superiors, they will never be pleased.
Although you care for your subordinates, they will never be satisfied.
Although you consider the wishes of others with affection, they will never give you a thought.
Think about it, make a definite choice.
~ Patrul Rinpoche, "The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones"
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Wayfaring_Man wrote:

From the images here it looks like the detailed horoscopes are using the Vedic charts that show planetary influences and so on, so they are definitely doing the Kar-tsi. You can see above the birth year and elements as well as the mewas, which come from the jung-tsi, and then the planetary influences and stars are on the lower chart. For the price I would also assume there is an extrapolation of the meanings of those arrangements and alignments.
In according to indian branch of tibetan astrology, what practices would you advise for someone passing through saturn (shani) and ketu related problems? I know plenty from hindu sources, but none in TB traditions. Would sang offerings in saturdays help? Maybe Chod practice!? Which deity is best suited so that I can get transmissions from my lama? I'm of karka rashi, punarvasu nakshatra, born in the year of female sheep of iron! Thanks in adavance.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: In according to indian branch of tibetan astrology, what practices would you advise for someone passing through saturn (shani) and ketu related problems? I know plenty from hindu sources, but none in TB traditions. Would sang offerings in saturdays help? Maybe Chod practice!? Which deity is best suited so that I can get transmissions from my lama? I'm of karka rashi, punarvasu nakshatra, born in the year of female sheep of iron! Thanks in adavance.
if you have a ketu affliction, you also have a rahu affliction. Why? Because rahu and ketu aspect each other with their full seventh jyotish aspect. This aspect is also a 100% opposition to the exact degree since rahu and ketu are always directly opposite each other to the exact degree. Since this is the case, Lion Faced Dakini might help, imo.

Kevin
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Virgo wrote:
Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: In according to indian branch of tibetan astrology, what practices would you advise for someone passing through saturn (shani) and ketu related problems? I know plenty from hindu sources, but none in TB traditions. Would sang offerings in saturdays help? Maybe Chod practice!? Which deity is best suited so that I can get transmissions from my lama? I'm of karka rashi, punarvasu nakshatra, born in the year of female sheep of iron! Thanks in adavance.
if you have a ketu affliction, you also have a rahu affliction. Why? Because rahu and ketu aspect each other with their full seventh jyotish aspect. This aspect is also a 100% opposition to the exact degree since rahu and ketu are always directly opposite each other to the exact degree. Since this is the case, Lion Faced Dakini might help, imo.

Kevin
Thanks kevin! And for saturn, maybe naga puja?!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:
Thanks kevin! And for saturn, maybe naga puja?!
I don't know...

Kevin

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”