Blue robes/clothes

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Blue robes/clothes

Post by Kris »

What group of tantics wear blue?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Re: Blue robes/clothes

Post by Malcolm »

RikudouSennin wrote:What group of tantics wear blue?
No one anymore. But Guru P's shirt is blue, symbolizing he is a mantra practitioner.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Malcolm wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:What group of tantics wear blue?
No one anymore. But Guru P's shirt is blue, symbolizing he is a mantra practitioner.
Ah, okay so it symbolizes one practices mantra.
So far I have only seen Padmas shirt, and Drollo is wearing blue.Also the avadhut Nityananda wore blue.

Was there ever a time that there was a "blue sangha"?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Loppon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche advised us that apart from wearing the white shantab, we could also wear red or blue shirts as part of the ngakpa attire.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Malcolm wrote:No one anymore. But Guru P's shirt is blue,
Would that have been blue proper or the krsna blue/black?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Losal Samten wrote:
Malcolm wrote:No one anymore. But Guru P's shirt is blue,
Would that have been blue proper or the krsna blue/black?
Sky blue.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

It seems that Bönpo monks usually wear red and blue; whereas other school's monks generally wear red and yellow.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

RikudouSennin wrote:Was there ever a time that there was a "blue sangha"?
Possibly of interest: http://radiofreeshambhala.org/2010/05/the-blue-sangha/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

dzogchungpa wrote:
I'm not sure if you were being serious or not but mental illness isn't a joke bro.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

RikudouSennin wrote: Was there ever a time that there was a "blue sangha"?
Mahasaṃghika monks wore blue robes.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Malcolm wrote:Mahasaṃghika monks wore blue robes.
the Mahāsāṃghikas are described as wearing yellow robes.[9] The relevant portion of the Śāriputraparipṛcchā reads:[10]

The Mahāsāṃghika school diligently study the collected sūtras and teach the true meaning, because they are the source and the center. They wear yellow robes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah%C4%81 ... B9%83ghika

:shrug:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

RikudouSennin wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
I'm not sure if you were being serious or not but mental illness isn't a joke bro.
No disrespect intended, I'm all too familiar with the fact that mental illness is not a joke. I just thought it was interesting that the phrase had been used that way. That website has a lot of interesting Trungpa related stuff, BTW.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Nikāya Da Biqiu Sanqian Weiyi Śāriputraparipṛcchā
Sarvāstivāda Deep Red Black
Dharmaguptaka Black Deep Red
Mahāsāṃghika Yellow Yellow
Mahīśāsaka Blue Blue
Kaśyapīya Magnolia Magnolia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasaya_(clothing)

https://books.google.com/books?id=6Ewg- ... es&f=false
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

OK, I did a little poking around and I found the following information in Hazra's "History of Theravada Buddhism in South-East Asia":
The Vajiriyavada was introduced to Ceylon during the reign of Sena I. The Vajiriyas or Vajiriyavadins seem to be identical with the Vajrayanists, the followers of the Tantric school which flourished in North-Eastern India at this time. During this period the Vikramasila monastery, as a centre of Tantric teaching, played an important role in the propagation of Mahayana Buddhism not only within the borders of India but also outside and its repercussions were felt in Ceylon too. In the reign of Sena I, Sutras like the Ratanakuta were introduced to Ceylon. At this time a sect known as the Nilapatadarsana appeared in the religious history of Ceylon. The followers of this sect wore blue robes and preached indulgence in wine and love.
For this statement about the Nilapatadarsana a reference to a work called "Nikayasangraha" is given.
Kris

Post by Kris »

dzogchungpa wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: Possibly of interest: http://radiofreeshambhala.org/2010/05/the-blue-sangha/
No disrespect intended, I'm all too familiar with the fact that mental illness is not a joke. I just thought it was interesting that the phrase had been used that way. That website has a lot of interesting Trungpa related stuff, BTW.
No prob, my bad if I sounded like a jerk.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

dzogchungpa wrote:
OK, I did a little poking around and I found the following information in Hazra's "History of Theravada Buddhism in South-East Asia":
The Vajiriyavada was introduced to Ceylon during the reign of Sena I. The Vajiriyas or Vajiriyavadins seem to be identical with the Vajrayanists, the followers of the Tantric school which flourished in North-Eastern India at this time. During this period the Vikramasila monastery, as a centre of Tantric teaching, played an important role in the propagation of Mahayana Buddhism not only within the borders of India but also outside and its repercussions were felt in Ceylon too. In the reign of Sena I, Sutras like the Ratanakuta were introduced to Ceylon. At this time a sect known as the Nilapatadarsana appeared in the religious history of Ceylon. The followers of this sect wore blue robes and preached indulgence in wine and love.
For this statement about the Nilapatadarsana a reference to a work called "Nikayasangraha" is given.
Interesting.

oh another note Guru P looks fly in blue with the orange outer robe draping.
rsz_hemis.jpg
rsz_hemis.jpg (209.8 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
:twothumbsup:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Black robes

Post by Kris »

One more thing what about black robes.
I know it is common amongst the aghori sect.
A few years ago I asked a controversial Buddhist teacher about the black robes I saw members in his sangha wearing.Here is his reply, it's okay if I share this as well because it might be total bs and if it is I want to know the truth.

"Dear friend,

Ordinarily a ngakpa (ngak=mantra pa=person wears either white cloths which originated as the cast off cloths of lepers. This signified that they were outside society and did not play the games of fame/shame, gain/loss, pleasure/pain ect ... they wore what even those who were shunned threw away. ... or ... they wear black cloths which signify the perfect emptiness of the essence of awareness from which the luminosity of intrinsic wisdom bliss shines. This black is worn when accomplishing wrathful practices of removing obstacles for people's spiritual benefit through the use of tantric methods. It represents the charnel ground cemetery where tantricas practice their arts which would seem scary to most.

Clothing carries power if the ngakpa has power and this can be transferred from one to another. But, in the end, it only matters what color your heart is died in .... and that should be the color of love bliss."

(I'm not looking to rocking a robe but blue is my favorite color)
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

there is one new sangha wearing blue and white :smile:

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Don't leave us hamging, Tongnyid. What sangha is in the picture?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”