Book showing Channels in the Body

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mr. G

Book showing Channels in the Body

Post by Mr. G »

Can someone reccommend a good book showing the channels in the body? I have some material from retreats and teachings I've gone to over the years, but I'm looking for something a bit more detailed with front and side views.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Re: Book showing Channels in the Body

Post by Josef »

mr. gordo wrote:Can someone reccommend a good book showing the channels in the body? I have some material from retreats and teachings I've gone to over the years, but I'm looking for something a bit more detailed with front and side views.
They might not always be the same. You might want to look for something specific to the practices you are focusing on.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Hi Gordo,

there will soon be a book on this topic published by Shang Shung publications. It is a translation of the text by Gyalwa Yangongpa called Rdo rje lus kyi sbas bshad which was done by Elio Gaurisco. This text is supposed to be a complete description of all the 72000 channels, but I have no clue whether there will be illustrations of all of this. It should be out this year, but who knows?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzoki wrote:Hi Gordo,

there will soon be a book on this topic published by Shang Shung publications. It is a translation of the text by Gyalwa Yangongpa called Rdo rje lus kyi sbas bshad which was done by Elio Gaurisco. This text is supposed to be a complete description of all the 72000 channels, but I have no clue whether there will be illustrations of all of this. It should be out this year, but who knows?

This is an interesting book. It does not describe 72,000 channels in detail however.

People should however know that it is Sarma tradition. There is also the Third Karmapa's book, zang mon nang don i.e profound inner topics.

People should understand that the presentation in Nyingma is different in important ways.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Thanks Nangwa, dzoki and Namdrol.

Perhaps I should have been more specific when I said "detailed". I'm not looking for diagrams of all 72,000 channels. I'm more concerned with the 3 major ones. Specifically how they link to the crown of the head, between the eyes and below the naval. Also I think I've been misunderstanding how (and if) they connect to the urethra and anus. This misunderstanding is a bit disturbing to me as I'm concerned about the status of my practice now. That's why a side view is important for me since the front view diagrams I have aren't that clear. This is in reference to Sarma tradition too. PM's would be much appreciated.
There is also the Third Karmapa's book, zang mon nang don i.e profound inner topics.
I don't suppose this is in English Namdrol?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:Thanks Nangwa, dzoki and Namdrol.

Perhaps I should have been more specific when I said "detailed". I'm not looking for diagrams of all 72,000 channels. I'm more concerned with the 3 major ones. Specifically how they link to the crown of the head, between the eyes and below the naval. Also I think I've been misunderstanding how (and if) they connect to the urethra and anus. This misunderstanding is a bit disturbing to me as I'm concerned about the status of my practice now. That's why a side view is important for me since the front view diagrams I have aren't that clear. This is in reference to Sarma tradition too. PM's would be much appreciated.
There is also the Third Karmapa's book, zang mon nang don i.e profound inner topics.
I don't suppose this is in English Namdrol?

Yes, Zabmo Nangdon has been translated by E. Callahan.

According the Kalacakra, three channels in question govern feces elimination (avadhūtī); ejaculation/menstruation (rasanā) and urination (lalanā).
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Portions of the Zabmo Nangdon have been translated into English.....Snow Lion's Luminous Heart contains, to the best of my knowledge, the only bits so far translated, and they don't relate to the subtle body, if I recall.

http://www.amazon.com/Luminous-Heart-Co ... 1&sr=8-1#_

Even in the Sarma systems, the arrangement and descriptions of the channels can differ. It's really quite specific to the practice you have been given. Kalachakra is almost completely different from, say, Vajrayogini/Vajravarahi.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Namdrol wrote:
Really? What's the English title, if you know?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:Namdrol wrote:
Really? What's the English title, if you know?

http://www.nitarthainstitute.org/public ... rtha.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the bottom.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Many thanks, Namdrol!

Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Namdrol wrote:

http://www.nitarthainstitute.org/public ... rtha.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the bottom.
Yes, thanks so much for this! I hope the diagrams clarify what I'm looking for.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Namdrol wrote: http://www.nitarthainstitute.org/public ... rtha.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the bottom.
Is this useful for all Vajrayana students? Are there any restrictions on its purchase?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:
Namdrol wrote: http://www.nitarthainstitute.org/public ... rtha.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the bottom.
Is this useful for all Vajrayana students? Are there any restrictions on its purchase?

Yes and yes.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Namdrol wrote:
Pero wrote:
Yes and yes.
And what are they? Ngondro?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:
And what are they? Ngondro?

I think you have to write them and ask.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Completed ngondro it is. Bummer.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”