How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Thomas Amundsen

How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Hi,

I was recently referred to the book "Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth" by a local Nyingma center. They mainly referred me to use the guided meditations as an introduction to Tibetan methods, but that's not really important in the context of this post.

My question is, what can we do to help the dead animals we encounter in our daily life navigate the bardo to a pure land? In the book, Tulku Thondup describes "Buddhist Rituals for Non-Buddhists" and "Universal Meditation for All" where you do a meditation visualizing receiving blessing lights and transferring them to the dying person in the bardo. However, this is clearly written for humans who have died. Usually ones that we are close friends or family with.

Is there any practice to guide those dead animals we encounter? I usually just say "om mani padme hung" a few times. But perhaps there is something more effective? Obviously, doing a whole meditation is not really feasible for dead animals outside, but could work for pests and insects in the home...

Thanks!
Tom
dakini_boi

Re: How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Post by dakini_boi »

I don't see why you can't use Tulku Thondup's meditation for animals too. . .

In addition to mani mantra, you could also do Amitabha's mantra - Om Ami Dewa Hri - to help transfer animals to pure land.

Here's a very concise Amitabha practice with explanation:

http://www.palyulproductions.org/Amitab ... actice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I don't have an official answer - but personally, if i encounter a dead animal or bird, I will visualize picking it up and placing it bowed in front of the Buddha, then circling it three times before bowing back. (I read the story of the fly getting into the heavenly realms by accidentally circling a stupa x3, so figured it might help...)
Thomas Amundsen

dakini_boi wrote:I don't see why you can't use Tulku Thondup's meditation for animals too. . .
Ah, yea, I just wasn't sure...
dakini_boi wrote: In addition to mani mantra, you could also do Amitabha's mantra - Om Ami Dewa Hri - to help transfer animals to pure land.

Here's a very concise Amitabha practice with explanation:

http://www.palyulproductions.org/Amitab ... actice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

:thanks:

- Tom
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tomamundsen wrote: Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

- Tom

You can do Shitro.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

I think the animal has to be "pretty close to human"
to spend time in the bardos. I think they must
experience it, but without sufficient understanding...
But Tara prayers are good. Reciting certain Suttras too...
Lama Zopa answers these questions quite a lot-- many
ideas on the fpmt website. I guess, do whatever you can. :-)
Thomas Amundsen

Namdrol wrote:
tomamundsen wrote: Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

- Tom

You can do Shitro.
Thank you, Namdrol. Could you suggest any sources for this practice?

Thanks,
Tom
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

tomamundsen wrote:Hi,

I was recently referred to the book "Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth" by a local Nyingma center. They mainly referred me to use the guided meditations as an introduction to Tibetan methods, but that's not really important in the context of this post.

My question is, what can we do to help the dead animals we encounter in our daily life navigate the bardo to a pure land? In the book, Tulku Thondup describes "Buddhist Rituals for Non-Buddhists" and "Universal Meditation for All" where you do a meditation visualizing receiving blessing lights and transferring them to the dying person in the bardo. However, this is clearly written for humans who have died. Usually ones that we are close friends or family with.

Is there any practice to guide those dead animals we encounter? I usually just say "om mani padme hung" a few times. But perhaps there is something more effective? Obviously, doing a whole meditation is not really feasible for dead animals outside, but could work for pests and insects in the home...

Thanks!
Tom
Namo Amitabha is all you need to say...and the longer you can say with a pure mind, the better. Then you can say that you would like to offer them this cultivation of merits and wish that they will be reborn in Pure Land.
It’s eye blinking.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tomamundsen wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

- Tom

You can do Shitro.
Thank you, Namdrol. Could you suggest any sources for this practice?

Thanks,
Tom
You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.
Thomas Amundsen

Namdrol wrote:You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.
Oh, :thanks:
Josef

Post by Josef »

tomamundsen wrote:
Namdrol wrote:You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.
Oh, :thanks:
You should tune in to the webcast tomorrow. Rinpoche often gives a lot of lung transmissions at the end of retreats.
Might be a good opportunity to get it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”