Digital Tibetan Buddhist Altar

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
daelm

Re: Digital Tibetan Buddhist Altar

Post by daelm »

padma norbu wrote: No, I'm not eagerly awaiting new DTBA posts.

each to his own.

d
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I think we are on a similar page regarding forefathers vs. modern government. The so-called "Anonymous" cyber attacks are just a ploy to legislate more internet censorship. Pretty obvious false flag nonsense and generally the way our government likes to expand it's powers through deceitful means.

I disagree about this, however. We should revise freedom of speech laws pertaining to harassment and threat. Would you like it if someone called your house over and over to harass you and threaten you? Sadly, this has happened to my friends and I and the cops said they couldn't do anything even though they knew exactly who was doing it. I thought it was illegal to harass people and make death threats, but apparently not. I don't care whether we're talking about the phone or Twitter. There should be consequences either way. For someone to say that they can't do anything about it unless he actually acts on the threat is ridiculous and, uh, what about harassment? I got in trouble with the quickness as a 12 year old kid who decided to leave prank messages on the court house answering machine. If I knew then what I know now about phone harassment, it would have been humorous if I stood my ground and said to the police (who came to my school and called me down to the principal's office), "BUZZ OFF, I HAVE RIGHTS! I'M CALLING AGAIN TONIGHT AND LEAVING AN EVEN DIRTIER MESSAGE! YOU GONNA TRY TO ARREST ME OR CAN I GO BACK TO CLASS?" I would have been the baddest cat in the whole school!

Also, inalienable rights are nonexistent, really. That stuff has been excised out of law very carefully and thoroughly over the years. You will get railroaded if someone wants it so. Otherwise, the judicial system is unjust enough as it is without drawing too much public scrutiny by throwing people in jail willy nilly. but it is comical to see the Free Man On The Land guys get away with their shenannigans for a while primarily because local law enforcement really doesn't know how to handle people who throw a bunch of apparently legal mumbo jumbo at them and say that they are asserting their rights as free men. YouTube or Google for some entertaining anecdotal stories and videos.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

padma norbu wrote:Would you like it if someone called your house over and over to harass you and threaten you? Sadly, this has happened to my friends and I and the cops said they couldn't do anything even though they knew exactly who was doing it.
There's this company called Benelli. :D

Just kidding.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Would you like it if someone called your house over and over to harass you and threaten you? Sadly, this has happened to my friends and I and the cops said they couldn't do anything even though they knew exactly who was doing it.

Just kidding.

Kevin
Really, the point is we can't expect government to do everything for us. This government wasn't created to be our mommy and daddy. For example, it is not the governments job to create jobs. That happens automatically because of the free-market economy. There is a need for something, such as a service, someone creates a business to perform that service or produce a product etc. They follow their goals, accomplish it and are happy with themselves. They make money. It creates jobs for others and those people are happy, etc. When the government starts creating jobs you have communism... and the janitor in the school makes the same money as the principle, there is no incentive for self growth or for pushing harder, creating new products, being better than the competition, etc. People become depressed and become alchoholics. This is just an example. We have to fend for ourselves. We tax money and have local, state, and a federal government. They regulate things like the health department regulating food selling establishments to make sure they are clean and fit to sell food products, they pave roads, they have police that lock up criminals, etc. The point is that we don't totally fend for ourselves, nor does the government totally control everything. Most people are like little babies that want to ween on the governments titties. That leads to too much pressure and reliance on a government, which it simply cannot handle, too much costs which it cannot handle without taking most of your money for taxes, and too much power in the hands of the governments which basically means you have no more rights and your fate is whatever their desire is. It leads to unhappiness. People need to understand this point.

Kevin
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Virgo wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Just kidding.

Kevin
Really, the point is we can't expect government to do everything for us. <SNIP>

Geez, Steve, you think you could take us a little farther off-topic?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Chaz wrote:
Geez, Steve, you think you could take us a little farther off-topic?
Oh sorry man, hah.

I just felt it needed to be said. Anyway, lets stay on topic then. As you wish.

Kevin
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Virgo wrote: I just felt it needed to be said.
:roll:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Chaz wrote:
Virgo wrote: I just felt it needed to be said.
:roll:
It's just a conversation that developed.We talked about government. Somebody asked a question saying dont you think a certain law should be changed. I talked about the role of government and law. We got back on topic. No need to be snide, if you are being snide. Thank you.

Kevin
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Libertarian? I feel like I'm watching Fox News. I'm not asking for big government here. In fact, I would like to dismantle a large chunk of it. For example, you casually mention that they regulate food to make sure it's safe along with paving roads, etc. What the FDA has done with food is an outrage. Monsanto scientists met directly with FDA scientists and together they decided how safe GMO produce is and how they could get it out there with as little government interference as possible. There are expert developers and scientists all over the world who have concluded that industrialized agriculture is not safe and is not stable in the long term. There is a lot more I could get into about the FDA and big business, but I won't bother. Stalking and harassment laws need to be a little clearer or something because people generally think (for good reason) that such behavior is illegal and an outrage. Wait til it happens to you and see. You may find yourself in a position where self defense is necessary and you may find yourself going to prison for killing a man in self-defense. It happens. Other options include: getting your property destroyed, you or your loved ones getting hurt or killed (including pets). It seems very clear that harassment should be pretty cut-and-dried, but when it comes down to it, it's pretty hard to get police to do anything until it's too late.
Last edited by padma norbu on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

padma norbu wrote:Libertarian? I feel like I'm watching Fox News.
No I'm not a libertarian, nor a true "conservative" per say, but it's probably better if we just stay on topic here.

Kevin
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sure, but I edited my post so you'd get a better idea of where I'm coming from.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I remember Jetsumna being a Tulku of a real Tulku's sister who was good at fundraising. Definitely not a wisdom emanation. But now she claims to be an emanation of Princess Mandarava. Not surprising, her behavior has always been questionable. She should be wise enough not to throw stones.

Why couldn't she just ignore Cassidy? He's been in jail for almost 8 months. For tweeting. That is ridiculous. Why doesn't she just drop the charges and stop torturing an old man? She just sounds sick, like one of those third world dictators who thinks everyone loves them. Tulku's do produce strong reactions in others, perhaps she is one. But she could stop being a douche. Even I let threats of violence go and I'm a vet who loves a good punch up. Let alone from an old man thousands of miles away with health problems. She made her point. Where is her Bodhicitta? The Dharma Protectors will not take this much longer and their sense of irony is profound. Being a Tulku does not protect you from Karma.

Perhaps some pressure should be put on Jetsumna. She is disgracing her lineage. Does she want to be remembered as the woman who hounded William Cassidy to death for making annoying tweets?
Ng'mu

Post by Ng'mu »

Most Buddhists are haughty beings in taming or in training.... so whats to expect, bad behavior?
Obviously from watching Jetsuma's enthronment video, trouble was to be extected as the anglo entourage
stopped offering her kata... offering only to Tibetans... It was karma coming; whats to expect?
Apparently Mandarva was a wild outcaste of a princess. Feeding a dead child to her father?
She has come along way lol, considering now it was just coveoutness. Or could just be Guru Rinpoche
emenating a teaching for all the little beings in training.

Tenpa apparently is naughty and haughty, just the type the buddhas like to tame and train.
And some of the most naughty have problems with their power expecially as it increases, or
at least this is what the Buddha from Brooklyn taught me.

Reminds me of how my lovely lama would set memebers of the board up to exhaust each
others bad habits.
'Hell is the Lama of the Buddhas' -Guru Rinpoche
Ng'mu

Post by Ng'mu »

All the bad boy buddhists are decrying the Tulku right now,
even some pretty naughty major tulkus. lol

Learned something interesting about it at Lamdre from
a member of an ancient royal Tibetan family...
and in combination with reading texts by Tulku Urgyen,
it will never go away... politics and money impermenant
the mind of awakened one in the bardo? eternal.

And as the lovely lama said
'it only matters if its self realized'

Westeners are afraid of such power, yet covet it...
so the bad boys give you a blanket and put you to bed.
Because the jealousy here is so big. The worst of all afflictions
straight to asura and then hell...
Ng'mu

Post by Ng'mu »

Must say I was once banned from esangha by my vajra bro Namdrol.
All for saying that there was tantra in zen. Fudo-Myo-O is sooo tantric.
Love the vajra sword, and the blue boy skin.
Civil debate is a far greater tool than totalitarian dust crushing.
But then again there is zen karma, and twitter karma and Mara and his arrows.

Now how do you turn them into flowers so that the entire army does not descend upon you?
Because if Mara captures you, tulku or not you are heading for a hella concentration camp.
or
I can just hear Gardchen now, loving kindess, rigpa.... what a grand combination.
That and virtue are the only reasons I am buddhist. I saw they improved the state of my own
mind so they must work for anyone as well.

dchen

p.s. i enjoyed dta, couldnt get into mandarva after the book except as a teaching emenation... n speaking of lotus flowers love aro gter, think that consort and teaching relationship is esquisite and wonder if some are not envious, love Chetsang to the core so if he recognized the cherokee woman there is a good purpose behind it

p.s.s. also think america is more difficult than tibet, so they will go gently, but the maras will kick your ass if your out of line
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ng'mu wrote:Must say I was once banned from esangha by my vajra bro Namdrol.

Unlikely.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Ng'mu wrote:... there was tantra in zen. Fudo-Myo-O is sooo tantric.
Love the vajra sword, and the blue boy skin.
Yes, Fudo Myou is a tantric diety. Please help me understand your position: what has that to do with Zen, or the topic at hand?
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I think somebody may have read just a liiitttlle too much Jack Kerouac :roll:
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Or run out of clozapine.
Ng'mu

Post by Ng'mu »

no luv you flamed it and the account went dead... so I couldnt respond with fudo-udo
I found it odd, until I saw what happened later
then it appeared to be a habit
Namdrol wrote:
Ng'mu wrote:Must say I was once banned from esangha by my vajra bro Namdrol.

Unlikely.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”