DC Kalachakra 2011

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mr. G

Re: DC Kalachakra 2011

Post by Mr. G »

Friendly Reminder: Please remember to keep your samayas and not disclose private teachings in a public setting.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
mudra

Post by mudra »

mr. gordo wrote:Friendly Reminder: Please remember to keep your samayas and not disclose private teachings in a public setting.
?? Haven't seen anything on this thread that would qualify as private teachings being disclosed here. Besides it was a very. very public teaching, as HHDL's Kalachakras always are.

But otherwise, yes, good general reminder.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

mudra wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:Friendly Reminder: Please remember to keep your samayas and not disclose private teachings in a public setting.
?? Haven't seen anything on this thread that would qualify as private teachings being disclosed here. Besides it was a very. very public teaching, as HHDL's Kalachakras always are.
Yes, that's because I've deleted those comments.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Muddylotus

Re: DC Kalachakra 2011 .....yes ipeople were injured sadly

Post by Muddylotus »

Kirtu -
yes, all in all a wonderful event for Washington and the World. And you are CORRECT. People were injured during the mob panic that ensued instead of order for distribution of the Kushu grass and Protection Chords on Wednesday. Imagine that! If people had only STOPPED.....and thought....there were more than enough for everyone, yet I, as a volunteer from another country, was subjected to being choked by my khat a ( of all things!), and mauled...people GRASPING for the red chords. I was I injuried as the thousands pushed aNd crushed people into walls etc......and I know others were I injuried as well. I was taken by ambulance to hospital.....and besides the injuries, shock, panic and pain from the sangha - I MIISSED my vows and teachings. Such a sad time.

What a way to represent Buddhism, and HHDL and the organizers and volunteers! It was shocking, and as I am still in bed recovering from THESE injuries, And I am deeply embarrassed. As a Buddhist.

Next time help the elders and children in an orderly way,and then help yourself. What happened was NOT necessary.

Tashi delek and peace to all

In future, please have RESPECT. Let the elders and children go first,you will get your in turn. I pray that this may never, ever happen like this again, and needless injuries and pain and suffering do not become associated with such a blessed event.
mudra

Re: DC Kalachakra 2011 .....yes ipeople were injured sadly

Post by mudra »

Muddylotus wrote:Kirtu -
yes, all in all a wonderful event for Washington and the World. And you are CORRECT. People were injured during the mob panic that ensued instead of order for distribution of the Kushu grass and Protection Chords on Wednesday. Imagine that! If people had only STOPPED.....and thought....there were more than enough for everyone, yet I, as a volunteer from another country, was subjected to being choked by my khat a ( of all things!), and mauled...people GRASPING for the red chords. I was I injuried as the thousands pushed aNd crushed people into walls etc......and I know others were I injuried as well. I was taken by ambulance to hospital.....and besides the injuries, shock, panic and pain from the sangha - I MIISSED my vows and teachings. Such a sad time.

What a way to represent Buddhism, and HHDL and the organizers and volunteers! It was shocking, and as I am still in bed recovering from THESE injuries, And I am deeply embarrassed. As a Buddhist.

Next time help the elders and children in an orderly way,and then help yourself. What happened was NOT necessary.

Tashi delek and peace to all

In future, please have RESPECT. Let the elders and children go first,you will get your in turn. I pray that this may never, ever happen like this again, and needless injuries and pain and suffering do not become associated with such a blessed event.
Sorry to hear that you had such a rough time.

Not that it makes it any better, but what you described is about par for Kalachakra initiations in India. In 1985 in Bodhgaya there were around 150,000 people with hardly any water, and when it was over the security guards were literally kicking people who were scrambling for bits and p[ieces (rice grains, anything) off the stage, in Sarnath (i think it was 1990) I remember a couple of people being crushed to death because the entrance gate was too small to handle the 100,000 strong crowd. IN Mongolia in 95 we had the added spectacle of the KGB trained police force whaling into the crowd with clubs and long canes full force. The crowd didn't even flinch. In Spiti (Key Gompa) it was a little better - mainly becuase it was so high and remote less people came. But as usual toilets were scarce so you had to be careful of your step etc.

I guess there are always issues when you get that many people together. In some western situations the price of tickets make it impossible for poorer people to attend - perhaps more orderly but not necessarily totally fair either.

Meanwhile there is a lot to rejoice about as well even in these conditions. The Himalayan peoples, the Mongolians all were happy they came despite the difficulties.

Hope you get well soon.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Jeez! I had the good fortune to attend the Kalachakra in Barcelona in 1994(?) and then 7-8 years back in Toronto. These were both extremely civilized, and not as crowded as D.C. and certainly not as crowded as the Indian/Mongolian ones. This is maybe why these extreme crowd situations did not occur...

That said, I did attend Losar teachings with HH in Dharamsala in 1997, and I was shocked at the time how rude and physically pushy the Tibetans and especially the monks would be in the crowds to leave when the teachings would end each day. It didn't seem to be a positive reflection on the all day teachings on compassion! These days, this wouldn't surprise me at all! :shrug:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
mudra

Post by mudra »

Adamantine wrote:
That said, I did attend Losar teachings with HH in Dharamsala in 1997, and I was shocked at the time how rude and physically pushy the Tibetans and especially the monks would be in the crowds to leave when the teachings would end each day. It didn't seem to be a positive reflection on the all day teachings on compassion! These days, this wouldn't surprise me at all! :shrug:
Well you are right that people should be more mindful, but you can't completely discount cultural factors. Many Asian people have a very different sense of personal physical space and contact, and unfortunately have come to accept jostling in overcrowded conditions as a fact of life. That perspective probably makes it harder for them to be more aware of others as many westerners are who have grown up with the luxury of more space and civil society awareness.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yes I agree: when I said these days it wouldn't
surprise me at all I meant since now I
have more comprehensive experience of Tibetan culture, and
people. I agree about the personal space issue-- however
when people are getting injured because people are grasping
for their protection cords then there is a bit of bitter irony
in that, especially after teachings on altruism.
It is true that many people grasp to the idea of magical
benefit without caring to really listen to or apply the teachings,
and the whole thing just degenerates into a type of
materialism.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
mudra

Post by mudra »

and then end up missing the whole point of the initiation...

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”