WOMPT & Sex

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Re: WOMPT & Sex

Post by Virgo »

Tilopa wrote:
Pero wrote:When sex isn't motivated by attachment?
That is the point. All sexual activity by ordinary people creates negative karmic imprints on the mind. Not necessarily of sexual misconduct but definitely of attachment. Not a good thing when we're trying to overcome our delusions.
Tilopa, even the idea that you understand that fact is accompanied by a subtle pleasure and attachment.

Kevin
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Tilopa wrote:
Pero wrote:When sex isn't motivated by attachment? Anyway, you're missing the point
That is the point. All sexual activity by ordinary people creates negative karmic imprints on the mind. Not necessarily of sexual misconduct but definitely of attachment. Not a good thing when we're trying to overcome our delusions.
I think you are missing the point of this whole discussion - yes, of course any action engaged with attachment will create karma. The discussion was specifically about the issue of "sexual misconduct." According to WOMPT, masturbation, oral & anal sex are considered misconduct, whereas "ordinary heterosexual" intercourse is not.
Pero wrote:To me that is just non-sense and I don't care that it's in WOMPT. There is no logical reason to assume that any sexual act will result in a negative fruit unless one is hurting the other person while doing it.

I think, in context, Pero was saying that he didn't agree that anal/oral/masturbation were inherently less virtuous than "ordinary heterosexual" intercourse. Correct me if I'm wrong, Pero.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Virgo wrote:Tilopa, even the idea that you understand that fact is accompanied by a subtle pleasure and attachment.
So what?
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

dakini_boi wrote:I think you are missing the point of this whole discussion - yes, of course any action engaged with attachment will create karma. The discussion was specifically about the issue of "sexual misconduct." According to WOMPT, masturbation, oral & anal sex are considered misconduct, whereas "ordinary heterosexual" intercourse is not.
I think you are right...sorry.
Last edited by Tilopa on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Tilopa wrote:
Virgo wrote:Tilopa, even the idea that you understand that fact is accompanied by a subtle pleasure and attachment.
So what?
That reconditions more attachment again and again, like sex, eating, seeing a nice painting, reading a good book, etc.

Kevin
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Virgo wrote: That reconditions more attachment again and again, like sex, eating, seeing a nice painting, reading a good book...
Yep samsara sucks.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Tilopa wrote:
Virgo wrote: That reconditions more attachment again and again, like sex, eating, seeing a nice painting, reading a good book...
Yep samsara sucks.
Samsara, nirvana, whatever. It's just tsal.

This is the kind of attitude one needs to adopt to advance.
Kevin
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Tilopa wrote: I think you are right...sorry.
No problem, I'm glad we were able to clear up one little miscommunication in this thread! :smile: :namaste:
Pero

Post by Pero »

dakini_boi wrote:
Tilopa wrote:
Pero wrote:When sex isn't motivated by attachment? Anyway, you're missing the point
I think you are missing the point of this whole discussion - yes, of course any action engaged with attachment will create karma. The discussion was specifically about the issue of "sexual misconduct." According to WOMPT, masturbation, oral & anal sex are considered misconduct, whereas "ordinary heterosexual" intercourse is not.
Pero wrote:To me that is just non-sense and I don't care that it's in WOMPT. There is no logical reason to assume that any sexual act will result in a negative fruit unless one is hurting the other person while doing it.

I think, in context, Pero was saying that he didn't agree that anal/oral/masturbation were inherently less virtuous than "ordinary heterosexual" intercourse. Correct me if I'm wrong, Pero.
Yes, that's what I wanted to say.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Kai

Post by Kai »

Namdrol wrote:
Kelwin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:It is a branch downfall to regard a consort who has not been ripened by empowerment as deity.
Yup, I know that, but I find that difficult to combine with other instructions. How could I possibly have sex in a state of awareness and not regard my girlfriend to be a deity? What distinction am I missing here?
Ultimately it means that tantric Buddhists should not have sexual partners who are not also practitioners.
So this is why most tantric Buddhists are old, unmarried virgins with a grumbling face. :rolling:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kai wrote: So this is why most tantric Buddhists are old, unmarried virgins with a grumbling face. :rolling:
Right. Just like French people are horrible, all Americans are fat and overweight, all their daughters have rifles, all wiccan women have fuzzy armpits and apartments with cat urine in them, and hmmm... let me think what else.

Kevin
Kai

Post by Kai »

Virgo wrote:
Kai wrote: So this is why most tantric Buddhists are old, unmarried virgins with a grumbling face. :rolling:
Right. Just like French people are horrible, all Americans are fat and overweight, all their daughters have rifles, all wiccan women have fuzzy armpits and apartments with cat urine in them, and hmmm... let me think what else.

Kevin
Let me help you......

All Chinese girls are trained in martial arts while Japanese ones are either ninjas or sex kittens.........
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I found that many Asian women were surprised that I did not smell bad. Caucasians are renowned for having a horrible body odour. Breaking stereotypes is fun.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nemo wrote:I found that many Asian women were surprised that I did not smell bad. Caucasians are renowned for having a horrible body odour. Breaking stereotypes is fun.
Well, with that avatar...
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Kai

Post by Kai »

Nemo wrote:I found that many Asian women were surprised that I did not smell bad. Caucasians are renowned for having a horrible body odour. Breaking stereotypes is fun.
What are you talking about? Asian women love Caucasians. In many cases, more than their own countrymen. So much for stereotype.......
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Last edited by Virgo on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Dakinis taking over this thread ...

:rolling:
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Kai wrote:
What are you talking about? Asian women love Caucasians. In many cases, more than their own countrymen. So much for stereotype.......
Many Asians do have gwailo("ghost" guy) fever. You must not know Asian women very intimately though. Their is a strong love hate relationship with Caucasians. There are many things someone tells a lover, but not an acquaintance. They had more and stronger preconceptions closely tied to their own insecurities and fantasies than I expected. I guessed it was because Asian culture was much more insular and monocultural than ours.
wayland

Post by wayland »

Namdrol wrote:Semen, like feces and urine, is a waste product.
Hi Namdrol,
I have never yet encountered any instructions which equate the qualities of semen with those of feces or urine. They have always been more akin to Berzin's quote which adamantine linked to (page 3):
Whether male or female, whenever we experience the release of energy that accompanies sexual orgasm - regardless of the emission of gross fluids - we lose subtle creative drops, called "bodhichitta" or "jasmine flower drops (Skt. kunda).
Just curious, is the teaching on the parity of these substances a feature of your school or is it more widespread?
:namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

wayland wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Semen, like feces and urine, is a waste product.
Hi Namdrol,
I have never yet encountered any instructions which equate the qualities of semen with those of feces or urine...Just curious, is the teaching on the parity of these substances a feature of your school or is it more widespread?
:namaste:
It is from Tibetan Medicine as well as Dzogchen Nyinthig.

Simply put, sukra [semen], both male and female is the the byproduct [kita] that is left over when the final product of digestion, ojas, is formed. Ojas is the real "bodhicitta" in the body, and directly supports the indestructible drop in the heart.

N

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”