Random question on Chogyam Trungpa

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rai

Re: Random question on Chogyam Trungpa

Post by rai »

i just came across this short video teachings by Khandro Rinpoche's. i think Rinpoche made an important point about our responsibilty when discussing about the Gurus or Sanghas, it starts around 4:00

phpBB [video]
justsit

Post by justsit »

Very pertinent and concise wisdom, should be required hearing for all new members before posting.
Particularly important to be mindful of the implications of offhand comments, throwaway remarks, and "jokes."

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
heart

Post by heart »

justsit wrote:Very pertinent and concise wisdom, should be required hearing for all new members before posting.
Particularly important to be mindful of the implications of offhand comments, throwaway remarks, and "jokes."

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
I agree.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Greg

Post by Greg »

rai wrote:i just came across this short video teachings by Khandro Rinpoche's. i think Rinpoche made an important point about our responsibilty when discussing about the Gurus or Sanghas, it starts around 4:00

phpBB [video]
Very much disagree with her remarks. Disempowering people to speak up when they perceive something amiss is exactly what has led to a shamefully extensive history of abuse by lamas in the west.
Zenda

Post by Zenda »

Great video! I didn't find her remarks discouraging in terms of speaking up; I thought she was just telling us to be mindful with our speech...
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

gregkavarnos wrote:Ever heard anybody use the word f*** at least four times in one sentence? A habit I picked up working with street kids, junkies and prostitutes.
More likely a result of having spent some of your formative years growing up in Australia. :tongue:
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

gregkavarnos wrote:Nobody here has doubted Chogyam Trungpas brilliance, but you would seriously have your head up your rectum if you did not acknowledge the man had a drinking problem. I mean his problem killed him for crying out loud!
No, he wasn't killed by his drinking. He had a bad stroke, lingered for a few months, then died. Another thing that "everyone knows" that isn't true.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jinzang wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:Nobody here has doubted Chogyam Trungpas brilliance, but you would seriously have your head up your rectum if you did not acknowledge the man had a drinking problem. I mean his problem killed him for crying out loud!
No, he wasn't killed by his drinking. He had a bad stroke, lingered for a few months, then died. Another thing that "everyone knows" that isn't true.
His medical condition was certainly a result of his drinking and drug use - not even his personal physician claims otherwise.
username

Post by username »

http://chronicleproject.com/stories_81.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jinzang wrote:No, he wasn't killed by his drinking. He had a bad stroke, lingered for a few months, then died. Another thing that "everyone knows" that isn't true.
And my grandfather was not killed by his drinking, he died of a ruptured stomach ulcer.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
username

Post by username »

http://chronicleproject.com/stories_241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Fu Ri Shin

Post by Fu Ri Shin »

I rather recently had a conversation with a woman involved with the nearby Shambala meditation center. In time our topic shifted from the rich similarities (and richer differences) between traditions, to Tibetan Buddhism in general, then to Chogyam Trungpa. I don't think she ever met him, but she had a bit to say about him, finishing with "...and all the stories about the women and the drinking are true!" In that declaration I heard not an iota of displeasure or even reservation. And contentious as is it all is, I can't say I flinch at such confirmations. The man obviously got some things very right.
Know that in a remote place in a cloud-covered valley
There is still a sacred pine that passes through the chill of ages.

— Taiso Josai Daishi
TenzinDorje

Post by TenzinDorje »

There are the Teachers and then there are the Students that surround the Teacher. Where does the virtue and non virtue begin and end? and for whom?

Best to encourage each other here in practice let the Lamas debate each other...
username

Post by username »

http://chronicleproject.com/slideshow/j ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chronicleproject.com/stories_110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heart

Post by heart »

Thank you for your wonderful links username, we are of one heart when it comes to this matter.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”