Is Guru Yoga necessary?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kelwin

Is Guru Yoga necessary?

Post by Kelwin »

Hi all,

Recently, in the Kagyu forum, I asked if 'only' Guru Yoga in itself is enough. Not entirely surprisingly, the consensus was a resounding 'yes'.

Ok, let's invert the question this time. Is Guru Yoga necessary? Can we reach accomplishment without it?

I'm not talking about the absolute Guru Yoga here, because when we define the ultimate Guru as dharmakaya then it is necessary by definition. I'm talking about the specific practices of Guru Yoga. Could we accomplish the full path through yidams and 6 yogas, or tregchod and togal, without considering those practices to be Guru Yoga (which would be the usual way to do it)?

Before you all put your wrath on me, I'm not denying the value of Guru Yoga, and yes I do have a root lama. Having done several Guru Yogas of Guru Rinpoche, Milarepa, the Karmapas, etc, I know their power. But why not receive a yidam from a teacher, get instructions, practice, and achieve realization, without ever doing or even knowing about the concept of Guru Yoga? Yes? No? Why?

:namaste:
Kelwin
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Is Guru Yoga necessary?

Post by Grigoris »

And the yidam is something other than the guru? And the guru is something other than your own enlightened nature?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

gregkavarnos wrote:And the yidam is something other than the guru? And the guru is something other than your own enlightened nature?
Nope, it isn't. But that's exactly the ultimate perspective on the Guru that I was trying to avoid here :smile:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It's going to be pretty hard to avoid hearing about the essence of the practice when you ask about the practice. ;)

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
heart

Post by heart »

Kelwin wrote:Hi all,

Recently, in the Kagyu forum, I asked if 'only' Guru Yoga in itself is enough. Not entirely surprisingly, the consensus was a resounding 'yes'.

Ok, let's invert the question this time. Is Guru Yoga necessary? Can we reach accomplishment without it?

I'm not talking about the absolute Guru Yoga here, because when we define the ultimate Guru as dharmakaya then it is necessary by definition. I'm talking about the specific practices of Guru Yoga. Could we accomplish the full path through yidams and 6 yogas, or tregchod and togal, without considering those practices to be Guru Yoga (which would be the usual way to do it)?

Before you all put your wrath on me, I'm not denying the value of Guru Yoga, and yes I do have a root lama. Having done several Guru Yogas of Guru Rinpoche, Milarepa, the Karmapas, etc, I know their power. But why not receive a yidam from a teacher, get instructions, practice, and achieve realization, without ever doing or even knowing about the concept of Guru Yoga? Yes? No? Why?

Kelwin
Erik once told me that Tulku Urgyen used to say that if you did your Ngondro and got the instructions Dzogchen/Mahamudra it is enough to take one practice, like Yidam or a Guru Yoga, and just continuously practice that. Everything is complete there.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kelwin wrote: Ok, let's invert the question this time. Is Guru Yoga necessary? Can we reach accomplishment without it?

No, not in Vajrayāna.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Which of the two questions are you answering no to? Coz it makes a HUGE difference! :thinking:

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

the second I guess ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gregkavarnos wrote:Which of the two questions are you answering no to? Coz it makes a HUGE difference! :thinking:

Guru yoga is the sole path of all the buddhas.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Thus have I heard:

If you are following a vajrayana path, yes it is absolutely necessary.

If you are following a mahayana or hinayana path, then no.
This is not the wrong life.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sönam wrote:the second I guess ...

Sönam
Well, I stopped making assumptions about what Namdrol means after he let loose with comments like: "...realisation is bullshit..." ;)

mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

gregkavarnos wrote:

Sönam
Well, I stopped making assumptions about what Namdrol means after he let loose with comments like: "...realisation is bullshit..." ;)
Don't worry, Namdrol doesn't exist.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

gregkavarnos wrote:

Sönam
I must say my answer was wrong ... I badly notice the negation in your sentence. Therefore "the first I guess"

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

gregkavarnos wrote:

Sönam
I must say my answer was wrong ... I badly notice the negation in your sentence. Therefore "the first I guess". But I do not have so much problem to follow Namdrol ... but intuitively.

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I think it would still be Guru Yoga. You would just be simply ignoring the the label of "Guru." However, Guru Yoga is really all pervasive when it comes to practice. The concept still there.

Shaun :namaste:
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

gregkavarnos wrote:It's going to be pretty hard to avoid hearing about the essence of the practice when you ask about the practice. ;)
True, but you do understand my question, right? Another way to phrase it could be 'is ultimate guru yoga possible without ever doing relative guru yoga?'
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

heart wrote:Erik once told me that Tulku Urgyen used to say that if you did your Ngondro and got the instructions Dzogchen/Mahamudra it is enough to take one practice, like Yidam or a Guru Yoga, and just continuously practice that. Everything is complete there.

/magnus
Thanks Magnus, despite my boundless confusion, I seem to somehow trust anything Tulku Urgyen ever said :namaste:
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Namdrol wrote:
Kelwin wrote: Ok, let's invert the question this time. Is Guru Yoga necessary? Can we reach accomplishment without it?

No, not in Vajrayāna.
Accomplishment without (relative) Guru Yoga is impossible?

or

Accomplishment without (relative) Guru Yoga is not Vajrayana?
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

The Lam Rim teaches what is and is not necessary for the practitioner.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Josef

Post by Josef »

In Vajrayana and Dzogchen Guru Yoga is necessary.
In Hinayana and Mahayana it is not.
It's pretty straight forward really.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”