Hemorrhoid Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
pemachophel

Hemorrhoid Sutra

Post by pemachophel »

There is a sutra called the Pile (i.e., Hemorrhoid) Sutra which seems to have been translated from Chinese into English. See here: http://tbsn.org/english2/sutra.php?id=3&keyword=&page=0. The translator at the above site seems, in my opinion correctly, to assume that the sutra is not just talking about hemorrhoids but tumors in general. However, when I go back to the original Chinese, the Chinese definitely uses the traditional term for piles which is not normally used in Chinese medicine at least as a generic term for tumors. So here's my question: Does anyone know where I can find either the Tibetan or Sanskrit original of this sutra? I'd like to see if the Tibetans and/or the Indians used a more generic term as opposed to the more limited term "piles." True piles/hemorrhoids only occur in the rectum and anus, and this sutra talks about it curing piles in all sorts of other places in the body. So logically the sutra has to be talking about more than piles per se.

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
sherabzangpo

Re: Hemorrhoid Sutra

Post by sherabzangpo »

Actually this Sutra can be found in Tibetan in the gZungs bsDus collection, which I have.
It's only a few pages. I always wanted to translate it.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Sherab Zangpo,

Thanks. However, which Zung Du? Tsongkhapa's or the Nyingma one? I have Tsongkhapa's; so I hope that's the one you mean.

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
sherabzangpo

Post by sherabzangpo »

I don't know, there's several versions of it, but the general idea behind them is the same, as far as I can tell. There's one by Sherig Parkhang. I didn't know that Tsongkhapa had anything to do with it.
I know of two in print, one from Dharamsala (Sherig Parkhang) which is more of a Geluk orientation, and one from Delhi which is more of a Nyingma orientation.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”