YinYana Creed - based on Nicene Creed

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
lobster

YinYana Creed - based on Nicene Creed

Post by lobster »

I was quite impressed with the Dalai Lama's (PBUH) assertion in another thread, that we should stick to our own religions, rather than adopting strange new cultures, Gods and incense to frighten demons . . . :thanks:

As I was born a blood drinking Catholic, I thought I would reinterpret the Nicene creed which is also used by the Church of England :woohoo:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/nicene.htm

YinYana Creed

I believe in the Buddha, the Father of the Sangha, Maker of Dharma that ends suffering.

And in the Eight fold Path, created to end Dukkha, created for the welfare of all sentient beings; Path of Refuge, Light of Light. Very good in the beginning, in the middle and in the end.

Buddha for our welfare, came down from Nirvana, and taught skillful means for all Beings and died as do all arisings. The Buddha suffered and practiced under the Bo Tree. On the third day The Buddha sat again, according to the Sutras and entered enlightenment and sits eternally in the Purelands. The Buddha shall come again as the Metta Ray, with understanding and wisdom, to offer teachings

And I believe in the Enlightenment, the Giver of Dharma Wisdom which proceeds from the Practice and the Application. With the Bodhisattvas, dharma is called on for inspiration.

And I believe in nothing holy or profane as separate. I acknowledge my flaws and I look for the arising of virtue, and the moment of awakening.

OM YA HA HUM :twothumbsup:

=========== Source = Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

P.S. No gods were sacrificed during the creation of this posting
Astus
Former staff member

Re: YinYana Creed - based on Nicene Creed

Post by Astus »

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
lobster

Post by lobster »

many thanks for the links, some of which I am familiar with. :thumbsup:

I have a lot of time for contemplatives and mystics of all traditions.
The external trappings are interchangeable.
The inner experiences of equal depth. :woohoo:
The fundamentalists of equal certainty.
Icchantika

Post by Icchantika »

My creed is 3 words:

Namu-Amida-Butsu

Return to “Sūtra Studies”