In search of the Ratnadarika sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
jonboy

In search of the Ratnadarika sutra

Post by jonboy »

I'm trying to find a digital text for the Ratnadārikāpariprcchā sutra, which Takasaki identifies as the source for the 64 buddha qualities in chapter III of the Ratnagotravibhaga; it is Taisho 399 (sometimes given as 400) and is chapter 3 of the mahasamnipata sutra.

The Tibetan title appears to be "bu mo rin chen gyis zhus pa'i mdo". I can't find it under this or the sanskrit in AIBS or THDL or any other catalog I can google up.
TBRC seems to have it and says "mdo sde spyi'i rnam bzhag Volume 1 Pages 248 - 250", but I don't know what this means.

Can anyone point me towards a digital or Wylie version of this sutra? I've hit the ceiling of my tiny Kangyur navigation skills.

thanks!

Jonathan
Qianxi

Re: In search of the Ratnadarika sutra

Post by Qianxi »

What Takasaki translates as the Ratnadārikā-sūtra is in the parallel Chinese the 寶女經 Bǎonǚ jīng, which I presume is the 寶女所問經 Bǎonǚ suǒ wèn jīng, Taisho 399. Here is the Chinese text, it is four fascicles long.

According to The Korean Buddhist Canon: A Descriptive Catalogue by Dr. Lewis R. Lancaster, 1979, the Sanskrit name of Taisho 399 is "Mahāyānopadeśa(sūtra)" and the Tibetan name is "Theg-pa chen-poḥi man-nag".

The multilingual equivalents in Lancaster's 1979 catalogue are sometimes out of date, but at least it gives you some new leads in your search.

There is no translation of Taisho 399 listed on Marcus Bingenheimer's Bibliography of Translations from the Chinese Buddhist Canon into Western Languages.

Taisho 399 is indeed equivalent to chapter 3 (寶女品) of Taisho 397 大方等大集經 (Mahāvaipulyamahā)sannipātasūtra. Here is the Chinese (chapter 3 starts in fascicle 5). There are no translations of this listed in Bingenheimer's Bibliography either.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”