Commentary On Anguttara Nikaya

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
kao1306

Post by kao1306 »

Trenscend desires, Not destroy desires.
@AnguttaraNikaya
Bhikkhus, which person has desires to attain it? Bhikkhus, a certain person is virtuous, with good conduct, and leads the holy life. He hears: The bhikkhu of this name having destroyed desires, released his mind from desires, released through wisdom, abides here and now having realized it. It occurs to him: O! When shall I destroy desires, attain the release of mind, the release through wisdom and by myself realizing, abide here and now? Bhikkhus, this person has hopes to attain it.
----Anguttara Nikaya-3. Tika-Nipàta-2. Rathakàravaggo3.-Aasaüsàsuttaü-Desires
http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trenscending, Not Destroying.
@AnguttaraNikaya
ânanda, it was on account of this, that I had answered thus to Punnaka in the Parayanavagga:
Destroying everything high and low, if he does not tremble,
Is appeased, emancipated, without confusion and desires,
I say, he has crossed birth and decay.
----Anguttara Nikaya-3. Tika Nipàta-4. Devadåta vaggo-32.
http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Observed, Not tamed, controlled, protected and restrained.
@AnguttaraNikaya
40. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmless as a tamed, controlled, protected and restrained mind. A tamed, controlled, protected and restrained mind is harmless.
----Anguttara Nikaya-1. Ekakanipàta-IV. Adanta Vagga(Not tamed)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Listed below are 9 more verses which made the same mistakes as the above:

@AnguttaraNikaya
31. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmful as a not tamed mind. A not tamed mind is harmful. This is the first.

@AnguttaraNikaya
32. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is harmless, as a tamed mind. A tamed mind is harmless. This is the second.

@AnguttaraNikaya
33. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmful as an uncontrolled mind. An uncontrolled mind is harmful. This is the third.

@AnguttaraNikaya
34. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmless, as a controlled mind. A controlled mind is harmless. This is the fourth.

@AnguttaraNikaya
35. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmful as an unprotected mind. An unprotected mind is harmful This is the fifth.

@AnguttaraNikaya
36. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmless, as a protected mind. A protected mind is harmless. This is the sixth.

@AnguttaraNikaya
37. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so hàrmful as an unrestrained mind. An unrestrained mind is harmful. This is the seventh.

@AnguttaraNikaya
38. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmless, as a restrained mind. A restrained mind
is harmless. This is the eighth.

@AnguttaraNikaya
39. Bhikkhus, I do not know of a thing that is so harmful as a not tamed, not controlled, not protected and not restrained mind. A not tamed, not controlled, not protected and not restrained mind is harmful.

--------------------------------------------------------
Introduction of Anguttara Nikaya

Anguttara Nikaya (aṅguttaranikāya; literally "Increased by One Collection," also translated "Gradual Collection" or "Numerical Discourses") is a Buddhist scripture, the fourth of the five nikayas, or collections, in the Sutta Pitaka, which is one of the "three baskets" that comprise the Pali Tipitaka of Theravada Buddhism. This nikaya consists of several thousand discourses ascribed to the Buddha and his chief disciples arranged in eleven nipatas, or books, according to the number of dhamma items referenced in them.
The Anguttara Nikaya corresponds to the Ekottara Āgama ("Increased by One Discourses") found in the Sutra Pitikas of various Sanskritic early Buddhists schools, fragments of which survive in Sanskrit. A complete version survives in Chinese translation by the name Zēngyī Ahánjīng (增一阿含經); it is thought to be from either the Mahāsāṃghika or Sarvāstivādin recensions. According to Keown, "there is considerable disparity between the Pāli and the Sarvāstivādin versions, with more than two-thirds of the sūtras found in one but not the other compilation, which suggests that much of this portion of the Sūtra Piṭaka was not formed until a fairly late date."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguttara_Nikaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Sūtra Studies”