Commentary on Majjhima Nikàya

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
kao1306

Post by kao1306 »

To transcend, Not to overcome.
@MajjhimaNikàya
I heard thus.
At one time the Blessed One lived in the hamlet named Kammàssadhamma in the Kuru country. From there the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus: Bhikkhus, there is only one way for the purification of beings, for ending grief and lament, to overcome unpleasantness and displeasure and to realize extinction and that is this fourfold establishment of mindfulness.

To observe, Not to dispel.
@MajjhimaNikàya
What four?
Abiding reflecting the body in the body, mindful and aware to dispel covetousness and displeasure for the world. [1]
Abiding reflecting the feeling in feelings, mindful and aware to dispel covetousness and displeasure for the world. [2]
Abiding reflecting the mental state in the mind, mindful and aware to dispel covetousness and displeasure for the world. [3]
Abiding reflecting the thought thoughts, mindful and aware, to dispel covetousness and displeasure for the world. [4]

Get observed, Not get dispelled.
@MajjhimaNikàya
When there are sensual interests the bhikkhu knows, `There are sensual interests in me.' When there are no sensual interests the bhikkhu knows, there are no sensual interests in me.' When non-arisen sensual intersets arise, he knows that too. How the arisen sensual interests get dispelled, he knows that too. How dispelled sensual interests do not rise again, he knows that too.

Is observed, Not is dispelled.
@MajjhimaNikàya
Here the bhikkhu knows the eye and matter and knows the bond that arises on account of the two. Knows how the non-arisen bond arises and how the arisen bond is dispelled. Knows how the dispelled bond would not rise again.

----Majjhima Nikàya I-1. 10 Satipaññhànasuttaü-10 Establishing Mindfulness

http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ta-e1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Introduction of Majjhima Nikaya

Majjhima Nikaya (-nikāya; "Collection of Middle-length Discourses") is a Buddhist scripture, the second of the five nikayas, or collections, in the Sutta Pitaka, which is one of the "three baskets" that compose the Pali Tipitaka of Theravada Buddhism. This nikaya consists of 152 discourses attributed to the Buddha and his chief disciples.[1]
The Majjhima Nikaya corresponds to the Madhyama Āgama found in the Sutra Pitikas of various Sanskritic early Buddhist schools, fragments of which survive in Sanskrit and in Tibetan translation. A complete Chinese translation from the Sarvāstivādin recension appears in the Chinese Buddhist canon, where it is known as the Zhōng Ahánjīng (中阿含經). The Madhyama Āgama of the Sarvāstivāda school contains 222 sūtras, in contrast to the 152 suttas in the Pāli Majjhima Nikāya.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majjhima_Nikaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Sūtra Studies”