Ornament of the Great Vehicle Sutras

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Ornament of the Great Vehicle Sutras

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A wide ranging review of the new translation and older ones, by David Reigle:

http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/mahayana-sut ... -a-review/
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
sherabzangpo

Post by sherabzangpo »

Still have not read too deeply into it, so the only quibble I have is the use of 'wakefulness' for jnana. The conventional use of wisdom or knowledge or understanding conveys the flavor better. Yes, they are probably trying to point out how the 'awareness' of this type of jnana is so very different from conceptional notions, but being 'awake' hardly conveys anything to non-buddhas.
It's 'Rangjung Yeshe speak'. That style comes mostly from Erik Pema Kunsang I think, and I do believe it works fine for Dzogchen or Mahamudra in many cases I think, but obviously it's more than a bit out of place in a Mahayana context. Which makes me wonder, in general, how much the translators were paying attention to the context of the terminology. I suspect that a lot of Tibetan translators in general may have the fault of missing the 'context of the vehicle' and translating everything like it was Tantra (this was one of my Tibetan teacher's strong warning about translation and criticism of most Western translators). You have to question, I think, how much the translators are actually interested in Mahayana sutras also. However, it's a great work and it's impressive that they had the balls to undertake it.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is how this new version begins:
“HOW THE SCRIPTURE WAS COMPOSED

The first topic is taught in the following three stanzas:

The one who knows the meaning reveals the meaning with immaculate speech and immaculate words.
To liberate from misery, this arises from the compassion for suffering beings that is present in those who have that as their very nature.
Belonging to the Dharma that teaches the Supreme Vehicle and intended for sentient beings who progress by means of this,
It explains the five rich subjects of the Unexcelled.
[I.1]
The translator give a definition from sutra of mahayana:
“Why is this called the “Great Vehicle of enlightenment”?
Because whoever rides it delivers all sentient beings from suffering.
Resembling space, this vehicle is an immeasurable palace;
Granting joy, happiness, and bliss, this vehicle is supreme.
Is 'rides it' correct; 'rides in it' sounds better?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”