Uttaratantra Reprinted

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Uttaratantra Reprinted

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

It has been out of print since 1960s, but Motilal has reprinted this important translation & study on the buddha-nature that made use of Chinese, Tibetan and Sanskrit.

A Study on the Ratnagotravibhaga: (Uttaratantra) is the title, J. Takasaki the author.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
ratna

Re: Uttaratantra Reprinted

Post by ratna »

Thanks for the info, Will!

Also coming soon is Karl Brunnhölzl's translation: http://www.shambhala.com/when-the-clouds-part.html.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

ratna wrote:Thanks for the info, Will!

Also coming soon is Karl Brunnhölzl's translation: http://www.shambhala.com/when-the-clouds-part.html.
Yes, I may get this one, but from skimming the table of contents on Amazon, it is not clear if Asanga's commentary is there. Only Takasaki & Obermiller have Asanga's commentary, I think.

There is also a Padmakara version with Mipham's comments in the works - not sure what the timeline on that one is.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Will wrote:Yes, I may get this one, but from skimming the table of contents on Amazon, it is not clear if Asanga's commentary is there. Only Takasaki & Obermiller have Asanga's commentary, I think.
The preface says Asanga's Vyākhyā will be included, translated from Sanskrit and Tibetan.

R
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

ratna wrote:
Will wrote:Yes, I may get this one, but from skimming the table of contents on Amazon, it is not clear if Asanga's commentary is there. Only Takasaki & Obermiller have Asanga's commentary, I think.
The preface says Asanga's Vyākhyā will be included, translated from Sanskrit and Tibetan.

R
Excellent - another important text to ponder!
Greg

Post by Greg »

ratna wrote:

R
Karl is certainly very thorough. Amazing what he has accomplished, really.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Greg wrote:
ratna wrote:

R
Karl is certainly very thorough. Amazing what he has accomplished, really.
I first ordered it months ago when December was the availability date. Then it was bumped to Jan., then postponed to Feb., so I cancelled the order. Today I re-ordered it counting on the Feb. date - now an email arrives saying mid-March will be the date. :tantrum:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I first ordered it from Amazon months ago when December was the availability date. Then it was bumped to Jan., then postponed to Feb., so I cancelled the order. Today I re-ordered it counting on the Feb. date - now an email arrives saying mid-March will be the date

A friend mentioned that if you sign up for Shambhala's email list you can get a 30% discount on one's next order and get books about a month before Amazon. Have not done that yet, but for certain titles like this new Uttaratantra, it seems like a good idea.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A buddha is like a giant rock python, the ajagara; a new simile for me.
the compassionate
ones, like huge boa-constrictors, (first) attract people toward their
own reality with their reasonable teachings, (which work) like the
boa's paralyzing saliva, and (then) make them fall into the gaping
mouth of their own peace, which is perfectly pure, universal, and
inexhaustible.
Thurman - 12:2
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Karl Brunnhölzl's translation did finally come out and I bought it.

Simply great, almost overwhelming in the amount of studies, commentaries, notes and scholarly apparatus that KB put into it. Highly recommended!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is a sample of the TofC etcetera:

http://en.calameo.com/read/000039257652ed1ab764b

Return to “Sūtra Studies”