How does one learn to practice a Sutra?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
joy&peace

How does one learn to practice a Sutra?

Post by joy&peace »

In particular or for instance the Prajnaparamitam Hrdaya Sutra, or heart of perfect wisdom sutra..

Specifically, i know pronunciation of mantras is very important, so when one is learning to practice it-- how to do so without making pronunciation errors - or what is the best practice for it, or - what are some ideas..

i'm asking this partly because i sang the heart sutra which i muddled slightly fairly,

most notably directly after na duhkha-samudaya-nirodha-margā. Na jñānam, na prāptir , which i sing fine, but then i mess it up some, and - a couple other places, i won't mention them in particular because i accidentally 'x'd the page.

many thanks,
jacob
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Zhen Li

Re: How does one learn to practice a Sutra?

Post by Zhen Li »

To learn pronunciation is not difficult. But the best way to learn it is to practice with someone from India or Nepal who is used to reciting in Sanskrit. The thing which I find most non-South Asian speakers have the most difficulty with is the distinction between a and ā.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: How does one learn to practice a Sutra?

Post by Astus »

Reciting, especially in an unknown language, is recitation practice. If one wants to practice what is taught in the sutra, one needs to understand it. Understanding a sutra can be assisted by commentaries, teachings, and other sutras. Then once it's understood, one can apply it.

And as Huineng said,

"Good friends, people of this world always recite prajñā with their mouths, but they don’t recognize the prajñā of the self-natures. This is like talking about eating, which doesn’t satisfy one’s hunger. If you just talk about emptiness with your mouths, you won’t be able to see the nature for a myriad eons. Ultimately, this is of no benefit at all."
(Platform Sutra, ch 2, BDK Edition p 28)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Sūtra Studies”