Engaged artists

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Jeffrey

Engaged artists

Post by Jeffrey »

Hello, everyone. First post here. I'm doing a little research and wondering if anyone here can help with a reference or two. I'm looking for artists motivated by what we might call engaged Buddhist principles. That is, artists concerned with social justice. If you know of anyone, a link or a name would be greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in artists whose work is based on Buddhist iconography or traditional Buddhist communities. That is, no Buddhas, temples, stupas, monks, etc. Nor am I interested in contemplative art. Nothing wrong with either of these. Just not what I'm researching at the moment.

Thank you for your attention and have a great weekend.
mudra

Re: Engaged artists

Post by mudra »

what would you call "engaged buddhist principles" and how would you see them as being the motivational factor behind the art?

For example, compassion. In an 'engaged form' could that (for you) take the form of a film or photo documentation of the plight of the downtrodden, does that fit your bill? Or are you talking about art "art" in its classic form?

It's a pretty wide field you are searching, perhaps narrow it down?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Hi, Mudra. I'm looking for artists concerned with social justice, who see suffering (at least in part) as a product of the systems in which we live - economic, social, and political. My personal interest in is visual arts, but references to all kind of artists would be equally appreciated.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Last night I watched Schooling the World, a lovely film about the effects of secular education on rural indigenous cultures (specifically in Ladakh). The filmmaker doesn't identify herself as Buddhist, but you get the idea she may be.

This is the kind of artist I'm in search of.

http://schoolingtheworld.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”