What to do?

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
plwk

What to do?

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-wq-IHApis
I found this cat at one of the buildings at a Buddhist temple in Southern Thailand the other day. It didn't appear to be in good shape, I could be wrong.
There was no mother cat around, I stayed around the area for 30 minutes. It had urinated and was rolling in it. It was covered in urine and feces smell.
It was old enough to be walking around, it must have been sick to be laying there on it's side and crying out like that.

There were monks around. Some foreigners that were staying at the temple to meditate. Nobody gave it a second look.

Buddhism, as you may have seen in my Dying Monkey Video doesn't cause people to act to fix animals that are dying. I've seen it countless times in Thailand.
The animals are left to die, in pain sometimes. I told you about a dog that was backed over by a car as I ate at an open-air restaurant. Nobody did a thing for it. His back was broken and he dragged his twisted back legs behind him as his front legs tried desperately to pull him forward. He whined the entire time.
Nobody did a thing. Did I? Nope. I have this idea about watching the culture I'm in and seeing what is the norm. I'm a visitor here, not an animal savior.

BUddhists have this idea of fate. If it's going to happen, then don't worry about. Let the gods sort it out.

So, this kitten may die, or not. Some monkeys may take it up into the trees and drop it out for fun, or whatever reason. I've seen that at another temple a couple of times.

The Buddhist monk, Buddhadasa bhikku, who started the temple featured in the video, had a favorite saying... Thathata... suchness... as it is... just as it is... and there is nothing wrong or that needs fixing, it is just the reality of life here on this planet...

Thoughts? :popcorn:
Fu Ri Shin

Re: What to do?

Post by Fu Ri Shin »

Perhaps all sentient beings should just be left to wallow in the filth they have soiled themselves with...
Know that in a remote place in a cloud-covered valley
There is still a sacred pine that passes through the chill of ages.

— Taiso Josai Daishi
mandala

Post by mandala »

plwk wrote: BUddhists have this idea of fate. If it's going to happen, then don't worry about. Let the gods sort it out.

The Buddhist monk, Buddhadasa bhikku, who started the temple featured in the video, had a favorite saying... Thathata... suchness... as it is... just as it is... and there is nothing wrong or that needs fixing, it is just the reality of life here on this planet...

Thoughts? :popcorn:[/quote]

Thoughts... well i think that's a steaming pile of crap! (am i allowed to say that here?)
I don't agree that Buddhists believe in 'fate' - the entire premise of karma and mind training is that things can & do change, by the very nature of our thoughts and actions. I don't recall any teachings by the Buddha that go " if any being is suffering, it's their own fault anyway so you may as well ignore them and go have a beer".
But there ARE 1 or 2 teachings about compassion for ALL beings, not wanting others to suffer, protecting life, cultivating morality & goodwill.. etc..
Then there's that pesky 8fold path.

As for Buddhadasa Bhikku... he was quite an unconventional & controversial monk... but anyways, I'm not sure that quote of his refers to justifying cruelty or not offering help when needed. We can't "fix" samsara, but we also can't transcend it by being cold hearted about the suffering of others.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

A Bodhisattva helps the cat and dog.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”