280,000 Seals Sentenced to Death

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

by Alicia Graef

There’s been a lot of talk about Canada’s seal hunt this year, particularly about the European Union’s potential ban on seal products that would eliminate a huge market for seal products.

The European Parliament was scheduled to vote on April 1, but the vote’s been delayed until the first week in May. The bad news is this gives the sealing industry more time to spread their lame propaganda. The good news is this gives the world more time to put the pressure on efforts to stop the largest slaughter of marine mammals on earth.

Already, Spain along with the Netherlands, Ireland, France and Germany, among others, have voted to support the ban of seal products, along with Russia, which has also stepped up by banning the slaughter of seals less than a year old.

Along with declining pelt prices keeping sealers at home this year, now there’s even more good news. Last week a letter from Obama’s days as a senator back in ’06 that condemns Canada’s seal hunt as inhumane, and calls to see the slaughter finished was unearthed. Although, no one seems ready to want to comment on what Obama’s actions as president will be yet, it’s still another tool in the arsenal against the hunt.

The momentum against the hunt certainly seems to be growing. However, Canada continues to cling to its old ways defending the slaughter, along with raising the kill quota last week by 10,000 making the grand total 280,000, which also goes against scientific recommendations for Canada’s management plan.

It’s time for Canada to let go of this industry and, as Senator Mac Harb said, move the last of the sealers into jobs with a sustainable future. Let’s put an end to this barbaric slaughter once and for all.

Please take action!

Sign a petition-you don't need to be living in America to sign this simple petition

Support Canadian Senator Mac Harb's bill to end the slaughter

Ask your US Senators to stop the largest slaughter of marine animals in the world by cosponsoring the Levin-Collins Canadian seal-hunt resolution
SEAL.jpg
SEAL.jpg (2.65 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
Drolma

Re: 280,000 Seals Sentenced to Death

Post by Drolma »

Thanks, I will take action and pass the info and links on to everyone I know.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Drolma wrote:Thanks, I will take action and pass the info and links on to everyone I know.
:twothumbsup:
Luke

Post by Luke »

I hope Canada will end this cruel and pointless practice. Thanks for the link.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”