A heartbreaking case of anorexia

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
qwerty13

A heartbreaking case of anorexia

Post by qwerty13 »

I saw this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkifew8OYpU

I donated. Not much but if every one gives just a little, it could help her a lot.

However it seems that here time is really running out. I really hope she gets proper treatment very quickly.

TAYATHA OM BEKANZE BEKANZE MAHA BEKANZE RANDZA SAMUNGATHE SOHA
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Vasana

Re: A heartbreaking case of anorexia

Post by Vasana »

I once knew someone with an eating disorder and anorexia, thankfully they're now healthy and happy. The most heartbreaking thing is that when people are locked so tightly in that mental-emotional and physical state, rational thinking becomes near impossible.

May her bravery and recovery process facilitate the recovery and healing in countless others who are experiencing the same thing.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

I saw on TV that she got the money she needed to go for treatment!
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

I did see that, very sad...
Does anyone know why the hospitals wouldn't treat her because she didn't meet weight requirements? It doesn't make sense. I'm not doubting anything about the authenticity, I'm just curious if anyone knows why that would be.
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

Anorexia can't be treated in a normal hospital setting. A normal hospital can only provide feeding and monitoring. Extreme cases of anorexia like this require specialized care around the clock for an extended period of time. The care is a combination of specialized psychiatric and behavioral therapy, together with ongoing counselling and group counselling, dietary monitoring, and medical intervention and monitoring. I suspect clinics that specialize in treating anorexia are probably not set up for dealing with the severity of this woman's condition. She's very close to dying from heart failure.
qwerty13

Post by qwerty13 »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:Anorexia can't be treated in a normal hospital setting. A normal hospital can only provide feeding and monitoring. Extreme cases of anorexia like this require specialized care around the clock for an extended period of time. The care is a combination of specialized psychiatric and behavioral therapy, together with ongoing counselling and group counselling, dietary monitoring, and medical intervention and monitoring. I suspect clinics that specialize in treating anorexia are probably not set up for dealing with the severity of this woman's condition. She's very close to dying from heart failure.
And on top of that, like we all know, the best medicine would be realization on emptiness and impermanence.
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

The followup here is sweet. http://youtu.be/mXVGcL-0G9U

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”