Climate Change: We're Doomed

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 am

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 am

We are all sangha puppies from the same pack in here.

Having said that since we're all Mahayanists it seems to me we have all been taught that this thing called bodhichitta is something that's got legs. Our teachers don't just use it to rubber stamp us. It's the very heart and core. If we don't believe it can really make that much of a muchness - perhaps we should tell our teachers to quit going on and on about it. But see, apparently they think it's pretty important. I wonder why.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 am

"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 am

tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:49 am

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:39 am

I'm familiar with just that bit from the Cakkavatti Sutta Huseng, that what I referencing with the life span thing..but i'm curious how you think it validates any of what you said here, or why you seem to believe your on personal interpretation is some kind of universal Buddhist Orthodoxy.

Wait, actually i'm not, and should known better than to get involved in the first place, have fun guys :)

This thread is going just the direction of the 'modernity' one. Yawn.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 am

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am

Suit yourself.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm

" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:10 am

Quite by chance, the latest post on RealClimate is a pair of lectures on global warming and what to do about it:
Authoritative but very clear and approachable, and an excellent resource for anyone who isn't sure they know as much as they should about the subject.

:namaste:
Kim

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Nemo

Postby Nemo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I remember `88. Great year to be an environmentalist.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/scienc ... ur-wheels/

By David Suzuki

In 1988, hundreds of scientists and policy-makers met in Toronto for a major international conference on climate change. They were sufficiently alarmed by the accumulated evidence for human-caused global warming that they issued a release stating, "Humanity is conducting an unintended, uncontrolled, globally pervasive experiment whose ultimate consequences could be second only to a global nuclear war."

They urged world leaders to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20 per cent by 2005. Had we heeded that warning and embarked on a campaign to meet the target, Canadians would now be healthier (because of reduced air pollution), have greater reserves of energy and more jobs. We'd also be a world leader in renewable energy and could have saved tens of billions of dollars.
Subscribe to Science Matters

The year was significant for environmentalists. In 1988, George H.W. Bush ran for the highest office in the U.S. and promised to be an "environmental president". He didn't have a green bone in his body, but public pressure compelled him to make a commitment he ultimately didn't keep. That year, Margaret Thatcher was filmed picking up litter. She turned to the camera and said, "I'm a greenie, too."

Canada's Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was also re-elected in 1988. He appointed a bright new political star, Lucien Bouchard, as environment minister. I asked Bouchard during an interview what he considered to be our most important environmental issue. "Global warming," he responded. I continued: "How serious is it?" His answer: "It threatens the survival of our species. We have to act now."

In 1988, the environment was a top public concern, scientists spoke out and politicians said the right things. Global warming was a pressing and present issue. Now, 25 years later, carbon dioxide emissions continue to rise, and we're already seeing the consequences — more extreme weather events, melting glaciers and Arctic ice, rising sea levels, reduced water flows in rivers and climate-related illness and death, among others. It's driven in part by rapid economic growth in countries like China, India and Brazil. At the same time, most industrialized nations, whose use of fossil fuels created the problem of excess greenhouse gases, have done little to reduce emissions.

Humans are distinguished from other species by a massive brain that enables us to imagine a future and influence it by what we do in the present. By using experience, knowledge and insight, our ancestors recognized they could anticipate dangers and opportunities and take steps to exploit advantages and avoid hazards. Scientists and supercomputers have amplified our ability to look ahead. For decades, experts have warned us that human numbers, technology, hyper-consumption and a global economy are altering the chemical, geological and biological properties of the biosphere.

In 1992, more than 1,700 eminent scientists, including 104 Nobel prizewinners, signed the "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity", which included this urgent warning: "No more than one or a few decades remain before the chance to avert the threats we now confront will be lost and the prospects for humanity immeasurably diminished."

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes, Huseng,
Things are bad and getting worse.
People are greedy and lazy and short-sighted, and sometimes extraordinarily slow to act on a problem that is not immediately (as in the next few days or months) life-threatening. That's the way people have been since they stopped being monkeys.
We are still not doomed. We still have time to make things less bad, at the very least.
If you want to convince me otherwise, you will have to give me a response to , one which demonstrates that you do understand the science.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”