Reciting for a sick pet

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
cjdevries

Reciting for a sick pet

Post by cjdevries »

I have a very sick animal. I'm driving up to my mom's house today and I am interested to hear any advice on reciting sutras for her. Are there any guidelines on what is appropriate? Is it ok to recite on the behalf of an animal, or is it questionable- maybe meddling too much with their karma, etc. I am considering the 88 Buddhas Great Repentance, Heart Sutra, and several other Tibetan practices. Thanks!
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Reciting for a sick pet

Post by Ayu »

I suppose, you could recite whatever fits to your heart.
Since your pet is a sentient being it is appropriate to wish them well and recite for it. It is good.

Personally, I would concentrate on only one text.
Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders »

Whoever feels so inclined could dedicate or say a prayer for your pet :smile:
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Any or all of these are great. You could also recite Medicine Buddha or White Tara or Avalokiteshvara:

THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE BEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA
OM TARE TUTARE TURE MAMA AYUR PUNYE GYANA PHUSTIM KURU SOHA
OM MANI PEDME HUNG
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

the Lotus Sutra promises buddhahood to all sentient beings; dragons, gods, garudas human and nonhuman beings, that includes your pet! So chant the Medicine King chapter.
http://nichiren.info/buddhism/lotussutr ... hap23.html
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

If you whisper the mani mantra into the ears of a dying animal it will be reborn in Sukhavati.

Om mani peme hung
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p282208

Also Kalu Rinpoche doesn't regard it as inappropriate to recite for animals.
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Help plant the cause of Buddhahood in your pets mind by chanting the Odaimoku of the Lotus Sutra:
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo!
南無妙法蓮華経
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

It is a positive action: We can recite prayers for humans, any animals, and non-visible beings we may not know about. Heart sutra is good, if your pet is sick or suffering medicine Buddha mantra is considered very good. When the time comes and your pet dies, I would highly recommend om mani paddle hum, as other posters have said.
I had a dog that had to be put down a year or so ago, and my vet was very respectful. I whispered om mani paddle hum in my dog's ear from the moment she sat down until several minutes after she was fully dead, amongst some other practices. I only hope I can get such a mantra-filled death too! Your pet is very lucky to have you.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

ClearblueSky wrote: I whispered om mani paddle hum
Om mani padme hum, that is. If only spellcheck knew mantras.
Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal »

Heart sutra and vajrasattva practices, and mani, cant go wrong with these !

absolutely nothing wrong with doing prayers for animals...it should be remembered we are all sentient beings !
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Thank you all for your wisdom and encouragement! She has recovered well. I did several mandala offerings, and recited the mantra of Great Compassion and Heart Sutra several times. She seemed to really like the prayers.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”