Medicine Buddha Prayer

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
SeekerNo1000003

Medicine Buddha Prayer

Post by SeekerNo1000003 »

I've heard that after the person dies it is good to do Medicine Buddha prayers for 49 days.
I was wondering, is this practice also beneficial for the living? Specifically,is it beneficial for people you're doing the prayer for? If so, in what ways?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Medicine Buddha Prayer

Post by kirtu »

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:I've heard that after the person dies it is good to do Medicine Buddha prayers for 49 days.
I was wondering, is this practice also beneficial for the living? Specifically,is it beneficial for people you're doing the prayer for? If so, in what ways?
Lama Zopa says that Medicine Buddha practice is good for everything, so for both the living and the dead for all things. This statement is from one of his Medicine Buddha retreats (published) but he has said this kind of thing in many sources.

He does not use those exact words here: The Power of the Medicine Buddha but the meaning is similar.

BTW, HE Thrangu Rinpoche has said much the same thing in almost these terms. And I have heard HH Sakya Trizen say essentially the same thing.

As a method Medicine Buddha practice is sort of the Swiss Army knife of Tibetan Buddhism. :lol:

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Short answer - Yes.

:)

There are a lot of very lovely sites. tell about it in good detail. . basically yes, it brings a great deal of merit, and can be very effective an aid in turning karmic actions for good - that is, removing the bad results for bad karma, as well as storing up general merit for future health, and so forth. .

Every physical ailment has a cause - and everything that has a cause, when you remove the cause, the phenomena stops arising.

So it's possible to attain this freedom from any ill-health, within this life - this is realization of Nirvana, of No-birth and no-death.

Whatever this form is - the state of Nirvana, is not a static, existing state, but a growing and changing one; yet here,

and even sooner than here, I've gone off into words. . and the real main part of it is just experiencing it oneself, etc.

I always am happy when I stop myself from rambling for pages, lol :)

Have a wonderful, wonderful day,

and better health each day until it's boundless perfect health and pure lands. . .

Tayatha Om Bekandze Maha Bekandze Randze Samugate Svaha
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”