help

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
han

help

Post by han »

we had a period of time when we thought a family member was having issues with spirits. involuntary talking, screaming, stuff out of a movie.
over time and with help from monks and the like, as well as medication, she improved. normal for a couple of years. yesterday this started again. talking "from her mouth"

who can help? we are at wit's end? does Buddhism have an angle on this?
The highest teaching is selfless love . Who can meet this standard?
Jesse

Re: help

Post by Jesse »

I'm not a doctor, nor someone who knows how to treat something like that, but as someone with mental illness ill give you my take. If whatever treatment she was given was working, I would make sure she is sticking rigidly to that treatment. Then see if she has any extream stress in her life, any new events etc.

Make sure she is sleeping well, eating well, not locking herself up alone all the time. Talk to her and see if she has developed any strange new beliefs (if you believe the cause is spirits, investigate and try to find the cause, but be respecful, compassionate etc.)

Perhaps take her to whichever monks, doctors etc helped her before.

Wish you and her well.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
han

Post by han »

Such a very kind post, Jesse. thank you.

this started last time after she did some weird qi gong exercises she copied from a book. she then exhibited unusual abilities like healing, then a voice started talking more and more. it .. I'm not usually superstitious.

She was fine, happy, healthy. A voice has started talking again, it is .. different. I thank you for your kindness.
The highest teaching is selfless love . Who can meet this standard?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I hope it doesn't scare you too much. Love, compassion and Dharma are the strongest forces and able to defeat all negative energies, at least in longterm view.
Like Jesse said, ask for help in meatspace.
All we can do here is giving kind words and send to you and her our prayers.

OM NAMO BHAGAWATE BEKANZE GURU BENDURJA PRABHA RADSAYA TATHAGATAYA ARHATE SAMYAK SAM BUDDHAYA
TEJATA OM BEKANZE BEKANDZE MAHA BEKANDZE BEKANDZE RADSA SAMOGATE SOHA

:namaste:
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I am so sorry, it's a terrible situation to be in both for the person and the family. My family has some experience with this sort of issue. In Tibetan Buddhism, the Sengdongma practice can help for clearing other spirits and strengthening one's own power. One can receive an initiation from a teacher and then it can be more effective. Reciting the mantra of Great Compassion or Heart Sutra can be good as well. Sincere prayers to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, especially Kwan Yin or Medicine Buddha would probably be a good idea. It is believed that Kwan Yin hears the cries of all living beings and can really help in difficult situations. There are also certain pujas that can be ordered through various temples and monasteries in Nepal or India- some of these are specifically for creating blessings and getting through times of danger- some are specifically for dealing with spirit harm. If the situation continues, one or more of this things may well be worth a try. In our case, they were and the results were very positive.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”