Unfortunate accident

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Qing Tian

Unfortunate accident

Post by Qing Tian »

I am hesitant to raise this matter and the attendant request, but have few other options available.

This morning (Sunday 17th) I was informed that my younger sister was crushed against wall by a motor vehicle. She suffered fracture to her femur (thigh) on one leg, and both lower leg bones in the other. In hospital it was determined that she needed immediate surgery to repair and pin the femur. Either during surgery or as a result of the accident, she acquired an embolism in her lung. This embolism, although mostly dispersed by whatever drugs the surgeons use, has significantly damaged her heart, and now her kidneys have decreased function.

The consulting doctor has told our mother to prepare for the worst and that my sister may not survive the weekend. She currently in induced sleep, on a ventilator and being fed by tube. If she does recover she has a long road of rehabilitation ahead, and it is possible that she may have impaired brain function and that the heart damage will further impact on her future.

To compound the situation the driver of the vehicle was our elderly mother.

I have two other siblings near to the family home, but I am half a world away and not able to get home any time soon. I am also living in my host country alone, without support from friends, family or any form of sangha.

At this difficult time I would like to ask of those who regularly practice if they may say an extra mantra on behalf of my sister and mother.

My thanks to you all.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Unfortunate accident

Post by Dan74 »

This is such a tragic accident and my heart goes out to you, Qing Tian.

If there is something I can do to help, don't hesitate to PM me.

_/|\_
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

OM MANI PEDME HUNG
OM AH RA PA TSA NA DHI
THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I'm sorry QT, most definitely will include you and your family in my practice, be well man.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

So sorry. Be well.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Very sorry; I will say some prayers now and this evening.

Post by newbie »

I'll pray to White Tara to intervene for both.
: anjali:
jundo cohen

Post by jundo cohen »

Sitting Zazen and offering Metta for your family.

Gassho, Jundo Cohen
Priest/Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha. Treeleaf Zendo was designed as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, and seeks to provide Zazen sittings, retreats, discussion, interaction with a teacher, and all other activities of a Zen Buddhist Sangha, all fully online. The focus is Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen as instructed by the 13th Century Japanese Master, Eihei Dogen. http://www.treeleaf.org
Berry

Post by Berry »

I'm so sorry, Qing Tian.

Will be dedicating today's practice to you & your family.

Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

It is 6:30 am Monday here. I have just received a call telling me that my sister has been revived from induced sleep and that the ventilator will be removed soon. At this time she does not seem to recognise anyone. The doctor says this is quite common in such circumstances and is cautiously optimistic. The longer term damage to heart and kidneys remains a serious concern.

Having no others to talk to over the weekend was difficult to me - but as nothing compared to fight that my sister is engaged in. I thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

Palm to palm, and with my deepest appreciation.

Qing Tian
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Om mani padme hum
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

You and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I pray your sister recovers.

Knotty
This is not the wrong life.

Post by newbie »

Praying to White Tara for full recovery of both.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

My heart goes out to you and yours. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and commend you to Amida Buddha's inconceivable grace.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Thank you for the prayers. It is much appreciated.

So, an update. There is good news and bad news, in a sense. My sister has recovered well from the surgical complications - still under observation of course. She has boundless optimism, unrealistic optimism really, that she will be weight bearing on 2 broken legs within the next couple of weeks. This is despite the consultant informing her that a broken femur is likely to take 3 months before being able to support full weight. My sister weighs 320lbs, which naturally doesn't help with the situation.

She is bored in hospital and hates it. The thought of going to a rehab unti for a few months upsets her a great deal, and she is belligerent and rude to the nurses and doctors who have done nothing but care for her. I am quite disappointed by that alone, even under the circumstances, though I have kept that opinion to myself.

My mother is 81 this year. In a move of spectacular manipulation my sister tricked the nurses to ask mother in front of her if it she was happy to have her go home to convalesce. Of course mother was put on the spot. How could she say no? She is alreay feeling guilt because the accident occurred by her own hand. She cannot really cope with looking after a bed-ridden daughter for a few months. Although I sympathise with my sister and her dislike of being confined to a hospital bed, I believe she is displaying tremendous selfishness in pushing to become aburden to our elderly mother. I am also disappointed in the health care professionals who have put my mother in a no-win situation that has led to this emotional blackmail.

My sister's positivity about her recovery is encouraging but the stubborness that underlies some of it is very negative. She believes that mother cannot function without her being there. This is ridiculous. Mother, though old, has proven to more than capable of handling anything life has yet to throw at her. I feel that my sister is projecting her own insecurity. She is the only one that thinks mother cannot cope, to the point where she almost has mother convinced.

This is a really difficult situation now, and I am at a loss what if anything I can do. Right now I am considering sacrificing my connection with the family in order to bring emotional pressure to bear on my sister in the hope that I can shame her into behaving differently, though I haven't said anything as yet.

If there is another way then could someone please tell me?

Post by newbie »

From this point onward, you can step in to have the family you need to have. In your terms, on your conditions.
It is true, your sister needs to be weaned from your mom and accomplish rehab as part of the recovery.
And your mom needs to enjoy her age, doing the things that please her.
You and them have support of the community and the traditional cultural values beside.
There are community resources and why not use them?
In fact the medical team should be doing teaching all day long now. Kidding.
If your sister wants to get better, she needs to listen/follow professional advice regarding diet, physical therapy, body image, everything.
Don't be afraid to address problems as they arise and to express your opinion.
You are the proxy after all.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

[I removed Qing Tian's double posts.]

Wow, Qing Tian, exactly yesterday I thought, I would like to know how they are now. :smile: So, now it sounds much better than before. Now the life-threatening circumstances turned to more usual suffering in Samsara. Isn't it?
Qing Tian wrote: ...This is a really difficult situation now, and I am at a loss what if anything I can do. Right now I am considering sacrificing my connection with the family in order to bring emotional pressure to bear on my sister in the hope that I can shame her into behaving differently, though I haven't said anything as yet.

If there is another way then could someone please tell me?
All I know is, we cannot change people according to our own will. They are how they are, and all their selfmade hindrances and dellusions are part of their entity to a certain extend. All we can do is trying to help, but it is not possible to make them different or to carry them all the way. This is how I experience these kinds of family clashes.
newbie wrote:...
Don't be afraid to address problems as they arise and to express your opinion.
This advice I like and I agree. You can express your concern. Maybe it is helpful, or maybe they won't listen. :shrug:
I still dedicate my sadhanas to them. :thumbsup:
:namaste:

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”