Chenrezig practice

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
eddie martin

Chenrezig practice

Post by eddie martin »

Can one do Chenrezig practice without getting the instruction from one's teacher,i haven't practiced it yet but i cant visit a teacher for the moment.

:namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Chenrezig practice

Post by kirtu »

Different lineages will say different things. However it is definite that in one lineage (probably at least three) you can practice Chenrezig without having had the empowerment as long as you do not visualize yourself as Chenrezig and you visualize Chenrezig in front of you, blessing yourself and all beings with compassion.

You can do this very simply, after taking reciting the refuge prayer. This doesn't have to be elaborate. Later, get the empowerment and the instructions for the sadhana you wish to do.

In general Chenrezig, Green Tara, Medicine Buddha and Amitabha are regarded as being sort of open practices like this (although not all the sadhanas and practices associated with them are). But the point is that you can meditate on Chenrezig as the compassion of all the Buddhas and visualize the blessings of Chenrezig to come to yourself and all beings.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
LordD

Post by LordD »

Benefits of the Mani Mantra
Today, i would like to share a short practice on Chenrezig for anyone who wishes to do this practice. It was written by the Holy Mahasiddha Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche. [...] Drubwang Rinpoche completed more than 12 cycles of 100 million mani mantras himself and he has always widely and fearlessly proclaimed that the mani mantra is the all-sufficient and complete practice in itself. That the mani mantra is the Buddha, that the mani mantra can bring us to realize our true nature of the mind (the inner Buddha) and it can eradicate all the past karmic obscurations and bring us to the pureland. Especially he has always emphasized that the benefits of the mani mantra, though not obvious now, would be extremely potent and beneficial after our death. Rinpoche said that for busy people like us with little inclination for more complicated practices, the mani practice can be a most helpful companion in our lives and we should recite the mantra all the time, everywhere. [...]

Links:
http://bodhiactivity.wordpress.com/2013 ... ni-mantra/
http://www.shabkar.org/download/pdf/Sig ... tation.pdf
http://bodhiactivity.files.wordpress.co ... nrezig.pdf
eddie martin

Post by eddie martin »

Thanks guys :twothumbsup:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It is entirely possible that by engaging in those practices which are open you will attract the conditions that will enable you to start on the Sadhanas with the appropriate teacher.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
eddie martin

Post by eddie martin »

Thanks Simon,this is my feeling also.

Return to “Meditation”