Basic question on meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
garudha

Re: Basic question on meditation

Post by garudha »

Gwenn Dana wrote:You asked, I wrote an answer.
There was not more to it.
Yes there was. You desired to give an answer even if you had to fabricate the question. The question and the answer are not different and it springs forth from your nimble fingers at any given opportunity.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Please don´t be too hard on him, I can take that beating. It is my own decision not to declare myself belonging to an -ism, I have to live with the consequences.

Maybe I can let Dogen answer, from the shôbôgenzô, in the very beginning, <1> bendôwa. I only have that in German, but I can translate:

"By this samadhi you can get to real truth and complete harmony, you only need to stop making differences."

Best wishes
Gwenn
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
garudha

Post by garudha »

Thanks. Now you answered my question, already.

Strength is weakness. Weakness is strength. The brittle tree gets blown away in the storm yet the supple branch flexes. The small animals run for cover when danger looms and their mistaken protection will become their funeral pyre as the storm liberates them.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The thing I always found interrupting my meditation, was when I was looking to categorize them. I wanted to experience the jhanas so I read alot about them, and by doing so my meditation was always forced in a way. Your mind will 'want' to enter the jhanas, and just by that, the meditation ends up being forced(if even unconsciously) it will prevent you from ever entering them. (Or from meditation properly.)

So when people say, don't do anything. They are giving pretty decent advice. When you sit with the proper focus and there's nothing specific your trying to do, gain or analyze, the meditation progresses naturally and you'l enter the states automatically.

just my 2c
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
oushi

Post by oushi »

:good:
Say what you think about me here.
garudha

Post by garudha »

Jesse wrote: just my 2c
Invoice it to Gewnn Dana. Nice doing business with ya. :rolling:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

garudha wrote:
Gwenn Dana wrote:
Give up the concept of being the void.

Give up the concept of super-awareness.

Give up the concept of big-merge too.

Stop trying to merge and stop trying.

Best wishes
Gwenn
Why? Why would anyone do that, GwennDana, for what purpose or utility ?
Standard Zen - Drop everything.
garudha wrote:We have to make up concepts to even talk about it. Are you qualified to be giving this advice... tell me this, miss uber-guru, did you die already ?

(I know what you will say, darn it, you should evade the question and give a "enlightened" answer... you're so predictable. Everyone knows you here ...., tell us something we don't know... like how you feel)

Do you feel perfect? :coffee:
Hmmm ... how's your tooth?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Jesse wrote:
So when people say, don't do anything. They are giving pretty decent advice. When you sit with the proper focus and there's nothing specific your trying to do, gain or analyze, the meditation progresses naturally and you'l enter the states automatically.

just my 2c
I have never entered any states.
It’s eye blinking.
oushi

Post by oushi »

LastLegend wrote:
Jesse wrote:

just my 2c
I have never entered any states.
When you enter one, you will know it :smile:. It may be subtle, profound, or even life changing. Are those states crucial for ones practice? Only one, called awakening, is.
Say what you think about me here.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Is kind of hard to give advice with that little information but maybe try to enfasis relaxation in your meditation instead of clarity and stability. I use to get all kind of weird "halucinattions" when i first starded, Now thinking in retrospective i think that it was probably due to lot of tension in my meditation. I could be wrong...
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Phenomena just appear in meditation. It is important not to create concepts of them. It is different when you visualize.Then of course you try to let the visualization result in experience. But still don´t take that what is experienced as "This is it ...". It´s just an effect. Use it.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

Return to “Meditation”