Demonfeeding

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Demonfeeding

Post by Ayu »

Yesterday I had a demon feeding session for myself.
I was not sure, which demon to work with. I wanted to work on my feeling of being depreciated - but I saw this would touch only the surface. Thus being uncertain I didn't give the demon any name and asked him how he calls himself instead.
It came out a huge issue to work with.
A very interesting point I would like to share:
Hidden aggressions are conected with sadness - who would ever imagine that? And the aide against hidden aggressions is to face the anxieties. In turn the anxieties are connected with inferiority feeling.

Looked in that light, all the emotions and concepts are like an artwork of web. :meditate:

(Edit:for explanation about the Method of Demonfeeding http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p288065 )
joy&peace

Re: Demonfeeding

Post by joy&peace »

oh yes.

i have noticed sadness is almost identical to other afflictive emotions.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

Sorry don't know anything about Demonfeeding
Sounds like some sort of exercise to work on deep issues
Is it working for you??
Do you recommend other take up this method??
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, it is working very well for me. It's not my daily practice, I just do it to work on issues, if they occure.
I don't have the ability to recommend it to certain persons online - but I can recommend the book by Tsultrim Allione to get a good understanding about this method.
In my view it is a great method especially made for westeners. Just wonderful.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Excellent news :woohoo:

Demon feeding is fun but rightly so requires a stabilised practice. :popcorn:

My main demons are anger/fear part of the same complex.

On the simplest level we can dedicate our toilet waste material to the hell realms. They love that shit :twothumbsup:

Another simple practice is inviting the demons to feast on our negativity. Good idea to start and finish with refuge and protection.

I used to ask people to send me their bad karma for when I went on picnics to the hell realms to feed the unworthy. :hug:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I tell you as a practitioner, lobster: you're not at all funny and you obviously do not know, what you are talking about. :(
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Actually, when I started this topic last year, I was surprised to see, that Demonfeeding seems to be not very common for the members here. (?)

Tsultrim Allione is a female Lama from the USA and she invented this method based on the Tibetan traditional method of Chöd. She exposed and explained that method thoroughly with many example cases in her book "Feeding Your Demons - Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsultrim_Allione

But I found a shorter article explaining the method also:
http://www.tricycle.com/-practice/feeding-your-demons
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote:Actually, when I started this topic last year, I was surprised to see, that Demonfeeding seems to be not very common for the members here. (?)

Tsultrim Allione is a female Lama from the USA and she invented this method based on the Tibetan traditional method of Chöd. She exposed and explained that method thoroughly with many example cases in her book "Feeding Your Demons - Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict"

:thanks:
Kim
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Ayu wrote:Actually, when I started this topic last year, I was surprised to see, that Demonfeeding seems to be not very common for the members here. (?)

:thanks:
Kim
You're welcome. :D
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Ayu wrote: Hidden aggressions are conected with sadness - who would ever imagine that? And the aide against hidden aggressions is to face the anxieties. In turn the anxieties are connected with inferiority feeling.
An important realization indeed. Feelings of inferiority and sadness lead to aggression, big time. Just watch some drunk college bros at a bar for a shining example.
PS here's a nice video which guides you through the practice:
phpBB [video]
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Ayu wrote:I tell you as a practitioner, lobster: you're not at all funny and you obviously do not know, what you are talking about. :(

I can't imagine how you will be able to feed any demon successfully, if Lobster disturbs you so much. Seriously.
I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into. Compassion is an extraordinary thing , and if you don't have it for
ordinary beings, it will be impossible for demons.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

How do you know I have no compassion for him?
antiquebuddhas

Post by antiquebuddhas »

Ayu wrote:Yesterday I had a demon feeding session for myself.
I was not sure, which demon to work with. I wanted to work on my feeling of being depreciated - but I saw this would touch only the surface. Thus being uncertain I didn't give the demon any name and asked him how he calls himself instead.
It came out a huge issue to work with.
A very interesting point I would like to share:
Hidden aggressions are conected with sadness - who would ever imagine that? And the aide against hidden aggressions is to face the anxieties. In turn the anxieties are connected with inferiority feeling.

Looked in that light, all the emotions and concepts are like an artwork of web. :meditate:
Hello Ayu,
I have no idea on Demon feeding practice.
Could you kind enough to provide introduction on Demon feeding?
Is it a process where you realize the demon (negative feelings) and helps you to be free from such feelings or 'Demon'?
Thank You
"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." Lord Buddha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

antiquebuddhas wrote: Hello Ayu,
I have no idea on Demon feeding practice.
Could you kind enough to provide introduction on Demon feeding?
Is it a process where you realize the demon (negative feelings) and helps you to be free from such feelings or 'Demon'?
Thank You
I gave a late explanation some posts above: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p288065
Sorry. I thought it is a common known practice.

Yes it is a meditation method. You visualize a personal demon (like fear of certain situations) as a person or being. And you start a leaded conversation with it. The method gives a very good and secure frame for this, so, it can not go wrong.
You ask why this demon is here, what he wants, what he needs. The answers are often very surprising and logical.
Then you give this being not what he wants but what he needs, what he is secretly longing for. And you visualize that food you give from your own body. The body melts as a peaceful honey or as joyful light and the demon is fed in an individual way.
Due to this process the demon shrinks to nothing and often what is left is a helper. This is a visualised thought, like a beautiful white flower or anything else, which may help in an individual way, if the trouble occures again.
But it is better explained in that articel.

I'll link that articel to the OP.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Ayu wrote: Sorry. I thought it is a common known practice.

Yes it is a meditation method. You visualize a personal demon (like fear of certain situations) as a person or being. And you start a leaded conversation with it. The method gives a very good and secure frame for this, so, it can not go wrong.
You ask why this demon is here, what he wants, what he needs. The answers are often very surprising and logical.
Then you give this being not what he wants but what he needs, what he is secretly longing for. And you visualize that food you give from your own body. The body melts as a peaceful honey or as joyful light and the demon is fed in an individual way.
Due to this process the demon shrinks to nothing and often what is left is a helper. This is a visualised thought, like a beautiful white flower or anything else, which may help in an individual way, if the trouble occures again.
It's not a Buddhist practice per se (well it is, I just mean it's brand new) so it's not commonly known. It's more a combination of chod as well as some Jungian psychological concepts, and was pretty much invented by Lama Tsultrim (who is quite wonderful). Chod, which it largely draws from is of course a long standing practice, but it's a bit different in the details. Again, that video I posted she walks you through the exact process, I found it a nice practice.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Ayu wrote:How do you know I have no compassion for him?
LOL :thanks:

:woohoo: Demon fed and luvved :twothumbsup:

Next picknicking in the hell realms, bring a lama, old friends to meat ... :popcorn:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

When a fellow member shares a personal practice, we are called to get into that space of practice, an inner intimate space, and share sincerely from it. If you are not prepared to do that, then move along.

_/|\_
dan
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Thank you, Dan, for these kind words.

First, peace to everyone. :namaste:

Dear Ayu,

Thank you for sharing these insights and this info.

:anjali:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Seems to me, demonfeeding is not really a topic we can talk about without any bias yet. I'd like to lock this thread.
If anybody has something pertinent for this topic to share, please write a PM to the team to unlock it.

Return to “Meditation”