mind/body dualism

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
PadmeSamadhi

Re: mind/body dualism

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Johnny Dangerous,

I do not see much duality between my body and mind anymore as a used to in the past which was a lot and I just realized this by reading your topic.

Well, my Lama was a Phra Maha Singhalhon Narasabho's student, here is Phra Maha's book (I have a copy, very few people have it)
http://www.abebooks.com/Buddhism-Guide- ... 5718943/bd

From the book: "Samadhi means placing of the mind firmly and voluntarily on a single object. Ekaggata is the essential factor in the mind which is calm and unshaken."

This book has the teachings how to enter the eight Samadhis (concentrations) and the eight Jhanas (absortions). I didnt progress throughout the book yet, but it already changed me a lot because the Samadhi itself purifies the mind and put you in a moral path, amazing as that. We meditate upon physical objects, space, etc and the results are different, for example you could meditate on space and have an unobstructed mind state etc. These practices and experiences will cut down a lot of dualism.

Nowadays I medidate as a horse standing quiet on the grass, when a horse stands on the grass it stands efortlessly on its four legs, and I try as best as possible to let cognition blazing as fire.

At the same time I have to quote Guru Rinpoche:
Master Padma said: Without practicing the nonduality of meditation and postmeditation, you will not achieve the abode of emptiness.

Lady Tsogyal asked: What does that mean?

The master replied : During meditation you rest in the inconcrete essence of dharmata, cognizant but without conceptual thinking. During postmeditation, you realize everything to be empty, without self-nature. Free from attachment to or fascination for the experience of emptiness, you will naturally progress beyond meditation and postmeditation and be free from holding a conceptual focus or conceiving of attributes, just as clouds and mist spontaneously clear in the vast expanse of the sky. In general , during both meditation and postmeditation, your meditation on the nature of dharmata should be beyond clarity and obscuration, like observing a figure in a mirror.

Padmasambhava Guru Rinpoche (2013-12-01). Dakini Teachings (p. 144). Rangjung Yeshe Publications. Kindle Edition.
Did you notice I didn't mention the body/mind the dualism along the post? I didn't because I believe I never fought against that dualism, but it shrank after I had a bit of Samadhi experience and by trying to adhere as best as i could in that teaching Guru Rinpoche gave.
monktastic

Re: mind/body dualism

Post by monktastic »

lorem wrote:of course being happy is not the goal of life and is actually far from the truth--merely using it as a pointing-out to the fact that there is no actual training in school of mind-body awareness so lots tend to live in their heads.
On the other hand, HHDL has said explicitly more than once that being happy IS the goal of life. So there's that.
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa

Return to “Meditation”