dhyana mudra

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
frankc

dhyana mudra

Post by frankc »

How does this mudra effect the prana and the mind. What is it's real use. Not it's rational use or explanation that seems to be invented specifically to explain to people that are skeptical and won't believe the real reason. For example (you touch the tip of the tongue to the roof of your mouth to prevent excess saliva or swallowing :rolling: ) I want to know the actual real teaching of this mudra and why it's used, the good stuff, the esoteric stuff. I read in a book the reason for doing it is lost? Hope it's not true :crying: Also I heard that you rotate which hand is on top depending on which leg is on top during the full lotus position. But I don't remember which hand on top for which leg on top. Any help? Thanks in advance :namaste:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: dhyana mudra

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

frankc wrote:How does this mudra effect the prana and the mind. What is it's real use. Not it's rational use or explanation that seems to be invented specifically to explain to people that are skeptical and won't believe the real reason. For example (you touch the tip of the tongue to the roof of your mouth to prevent excess saliva or swallowing :rolling: ) I want to know the actual real teaching of this mudra and why it's used, the good stuff, the esoteric stuff. I read in a book the reason for doing it is lost? Hope it's not true :crying: Also I heard that you rotate which hand is on top depending on which leg is on top during the full lotus position. But I don't remember which hand on top for which leg on top. Any help? Thanks in advance :namaste:

This off the top of my head, but IIRC i've heard a teaching that says that the placement of the fingers has to do with different karmas. I'll try to find the teaching and refresh my memory for more details.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I guess that depends on what tradition one follows http://hayakawajunpei.tumblr.com/post/9 ... ming-inkei

*edit* corrected link
antiquebuddhas

Post by antiquebuddhas »

Dhyana Mudra mainly focuses on promoting the energy of meditation. When Forming hand gesture such as thumbs of two hands touching helps to circle the energy. It is also believed that this gesture helps to throw away any kind of impurities from the deepest layer of energy field of the body.
http://www.buddha-statues.info/blog/bud ... n-buddhism
"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." Lord Buddha
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

"Also I heard that you rotate which hand is on top depending on which leg is on top during the full lotus position. But I don't remember which hand on top for which leg on top. Any help? Thanks in advance"

I'm no expert but I was taught by vietnamese people following the chinese tradition to sit with the right leg on the outside. that means to put your left up first. tibetan painting depict the deitys the same way and the statue in the bodgaya stupa is the same way. right hand rests in the left.

dont hurt yourself.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

"Also I heard that you rotate which hand is on top depending on which leg is on top during the full lotus position. But I don't remember which hand on top for which leg on top. Any help? Thanks in advance"

I'm no expert but I was taught by vietnamese people following the chinese tradition to sit with the right leg on the outside. that means to put your left up first. tibetan painting depict the deitys the same way and the statue in the bodgaya stupa is the same way. right hand rests in the left.

dont hurt yourself.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

this is covered quite thoroughly in pabhonka rinpoche's liberation. I can't remember what chapter though.
it is called the seven point vairochana posture.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

From Lobsang P. Lhalungpa's translation of Dakpo Tashi Namgyal's Moonbeams of Mahāmudrā (p.148):
Regarding the purpose or benefit derived from these vital body postures, the effusive energy can be controlled by the cross-legged posture, thermal energy by pressing on the navel, diffusive energy by straightening the spinal column and holding the body erect, the vital life energy by straightening the shoulders, arms, and elbows, and the ascending energy by bending the neck slightly and touching the palate with the tongue. Once one is able to control these fundamental energies in the body, one can automatically gain control over all secondary energies. The latter can be especially controlled by the immobile gaze of the eyes. With these postures all of one’s nervous system, energies, and “enlightening spirit” (i.e., the creative element, the seminal fluid) may be revitalized and stabilized within their respective planes. It was stated that as a result of all this the elements of the body will achieve harmony, the complexion will be radiant, and good, tranquil absorption will arise naturally, since discursive thoughts have been pacified [by the meditative postures]. The mind will be less overcome by dullness or passion. Awareness will manifest itself with clarity.
dialt1

Post by dialt1 »

for me it's great :) anyone trying it?
jofferystarkk

Post by jofferystarkk »

In Buddhism, the dhyana mudra may be made with one or both hands. When made with a single hand the left one is placed in the lap, while the right may be engaged elsewhere.

The left hand making the Dhyana mudra in such cases symbolizes the female left-hand principle of wisdom. Ritual objects such as a text, or more commonly an alms bowl symbolizing renunciation, may be placed in the open palm of this left hand.
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

jofferystarkk wrote:In Buddhism, the dhyana mudra may be made with one or both hands. When made with a single hand the left one is placed in the lap, while the right may be engaged elsewhere.

The left hand making the Dhyana mudra in such cases symbolizes the female left-hand principle of wisdom. Ritual objects such as a text, or more commonly an alms bowl symbolizing renunciation, may be placed in the open palm of this left hand.
I havent heard left hand to symobolise feminine blahblah. If you are right handed person you do mudras righthanded. What you say is not correct to me.
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Just see my image below. She (Guan Yin) uses right hand Ahimsa. Right hand is tha hand of activity, control, etc. mudras have symobolic meaning and power. It has nothing to do with chanelling yin-yiang energies that are directed in meditation sometimes, but with mudras that are gender-less. If you swear on a Bible in court with right hand it is regardless of your gender.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It depends on the school or system, that is viewing on left & right.
I heard very different and contradictory statements regarding the hands:

Right - Left
Giving - Receiving
Female(!) - Male

And at the same time the other way round: female = receiving, male = giving.
It depends on the angle of view. It is nothing solid.

And in humans: every woman and every man has boths qualities. There's no 100% gender without parts of the opposite.
So if they talk of "male" and "female", they don't mean persons but qualities.

Return to “Meditation”