Energies, winds, and centers: approaches to the cultivation.

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Energies, winds, and centers: approaches to the cultivat

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Wu Wei wrote:
el gatito wrote:
Wu Wei wrote:Question; Are you saying that people with meditative cultivation experience are not ordinary?
I will try to clarify what I am saying. Naturally, there are a number of "blockages" one has (as one is born and have body) that have to be removed by the way of cultivation. People with meditative cultivation experience are those trying to make efforts in this regard. Even a little bit of "progress" opens for them a broader "workspace". This makes them different from "ordinary", so to say, people -- who just remains as they are.
I feel adding the word "ordinary" as compared to those who meditate is creating a dichotomy and bordering on elitism. We are all ordinary people whether we meditate or not, eat beans or not, drive a car or not, work in a hospital or not or practice buddhism or not or train yoga or not.... all ordinary people. Being a meditator does not make one "different" it may make one more aware, but they are still ordinary... meditation does not make one better that one who does not meditate

we are not born with blockages, those develop as we grow and meditate, practice qigong, taiji, walking or dancing...all can remove blockages and all can give one access to the subtle energetic structures and their parts and fragments.
Far as Buddhism, it's pretty fair to say that people are in fact, born not only with "blockages", but because of them! The idea of children not having energy blockages is more AFAIK a Daoist one coming from the idea of pre-natal YuanQi and doesn't quite fit with Buddhist ideas about "energy" - again to the best of my knowledge.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

Wu Wei wrote:meditation does not make one better that one who does not meditate
I take the word "ordinary" back. Please accept my apologies.
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Far as Buddhism, it's pretty fair to say that people are in fact, born not only with "blockages", but because of them! The idea of children not having energy blockages is more AFAIK a Daoist one coming from the idea of pre-natal YuanQi and doesn't quite fit with Buddhist ideas about "energy" - again to the best of my knowledge.
Which could explain the reason for my saying that... I am much more a philosophical Taoist than a buddhist.... sorry I was not looking at this from the proper perspective. Thank You
- Nothing in this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is always a way. - Wú Chéng'en
- A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

el gatito wrote:
Wu Wei wrote:meditation does not make one better that one who does not meditate
I take the word "ordinary" back. Please accept my apologies.
No apology necessary, it is a good discussion topic, I just felt (and it may only have been me) that the one word changed the entire focus of what you may have been after.

My apologies if I derailed your discussion
- Nothing in this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is always a way. - Wú Chéng'en
- A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali
Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol »

Its more likely that by not practicing under a qualified teacher you will lose control rather than gain it.

Instead of worrying about energy and winds, you should look at your intentions, cultivate Bodhicitta, and study Dharma and emptiness. The Path of Tantra is not one to be taken lightly, but at the same time its very wonderful and amazing if you have the right approach.

You wouldnt try to learn how to fly a plane without a instructor would you? Its about the same with Tantra. Most likely you wont even get off the ground. But if you do... well then you'll really be screwed because you wont have been taught how to land!

Return to “Meditation”