Meditative Journaling

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Chaz

Meditative Journaling

Post by Chaz »

Anyone out there engage in journaling of this sort?

Anyone have any thoughts about it?

My MI has suggested I start keeping a journal beginning with a solitary retreat I'm going on soon. Advice, thoughts and/or derisive peals of laughter would be appreciated.
lisehull

Re: Meditative Journaling

Post by lisehull »

My teacher suggested I keep a journal to jot down my thoughts and insight from meditation. It's a good way to keep track of what is going on in your mind and note any progress/changes you discover.
:namaste:
Lise
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

lisehull wrote:My teacher suggested I keep a journal to jot down my thoughts and insight from meditation. It's a good way to keep track of what is going on in your mind and note any progress/changes you discover.
:namaste:
Lise
Thanks Lise!

That's kinda my take as well.

I'm not particulary interested in "progress" as such, although I think it might be difficult to not end up including at least a display of progress even if not intending to do so.

Nothing wrong with "progressing" on the path, of course, but I just don't want it to become an ego thing, like "OMG I have progressed like SO far! SEE?"

Although I don't enter retreat for another week, I'm thinking I may start the journal in the next day or two.

BTW, do you actually keep a journal yourself?
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

Hi Chaz, yes, I have journalled about my meditation. I haven't done so recently, but when I do so, it helps me gain more insight into my feelings about meditation and the actual meditation session. Maybe I need to start up again, as I have been having some difficulty staying on the cushion!
:thinking:
Lise

Return to “Meditation”