Breathing practice and physical damage

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
JC888

Breathing practice and physical damage

Post by JC888 »

So my problem lately is with breathing practice.

As you know, when you breathe in, you bring into your body the "spirits" of those people and things attached to you, whether they be a motorcycle in the immediately environment or your great uncle 2000 miles away across the ocean. When you breathe out, you expel those spirits into the world-objects around you.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of my breathing lately is naturally forced to the left side of my physical body, and I have noticed physical effects, such as tingly hands, etc. I've tried to correct it by yoga, but it just seems that from now on my breathing will be forced to the left side... I don't really know what to do about it.

If I have a have a lot of beings around me using loud equipment for lawn work, or car engines and motorcycles, I notice that they "assimilate" with my spirit when I meditate, which literally causes my physical body to tremble. I do understand why the elders tell the practitioner to "world renounce", but I do love the world and wish to remain in it for a little while longer...

It's, well, physically painful. I guess on one point, it has taught me NOT to meditate so hard, and to appreciate noise as noise, but every little vibration these days feels like a sore. I read somewhere once that upon enlightenment the body dies only because it begins to experience the vibrations of the many worlds all at once and the frame of human form and mind can not handle it... I don't know if that's true or not, but I will say that it feels like I'm experiencing this concept in slow motion lately.

Anyone else with similar situations or advice?

I am 33 years old, been practicing about 7 years now.
What the machine can not understand, Man can not understand.
But what the machine can not understand, Man can make understanding of.
AlexMcLeod

Re: Breathing practice and physical damage

Post by AlexMcLeod »

It sounds like a deviated practice, which will only show signs at advanced stages. You need to find an extremely skilled qigong master to help you correct this. Discontinue seated meditation for the moment. Standing should be fine. I suggest starting with http://shaolin.org/general/healers-list.html
These are the only people I can directly recommend, but you can find someone else. Just get a very skilled qigong master. In my experience, no one else will even be able to find the problem.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
maybay

Post by maybay »

Sounds like you have low blood pressure. How long have u been breathing from the left nostril, and how long and what type yoga. Is it at a centre? Do u work up a sweat?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

Sound vibrations bother me aswell, as I live near a busy street, but I guess I found a way to live with them.

Something that is often helpful for body discomfort is metta. Cultivate loving-kindness for you, your body, the areas of your body that feel more tense and make sure you include the sources of discomfort, such as the people operating the engines or driving the motorcycles.

An easy way to do this is throughout the day, have some kind thoughts few times every hour.

See if you have the chance to walk in nature, at least during weekends - that should have a balancing effect. I find this very helpful in dealing with all kinds of stress.
Jingang

Post by Jingang »

I would also recommend discontinuing sitting meditation.

My personal recommendation is Flying Phoenix qigong by Sifu Terry Dunn. You'll find it is excellent at correcting imbalances caused by your practice. There's no need to add any breathing or visualisations to the practice, the qi is intelligent and will balance you out energetically. I find it a wonderful safety net for my practice.

You can find a load more information on this thread:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-f ... -chi-kung/

Best of luck

Return to “Meditation”