What do you sit on during meditation?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: What do you sit on during meditation?

Post by Grigoris »

SteveP wrote:What is the tailor position?
Tailor-Butterfly Asana.jpg
Tailor-Butterfly Asana.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
The jock strap is an optional extra!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

gregkavarnos wrote:
SteveP wrote:What is the tailor position?
Tailor-Butterfly Asana.jpg
The jock strap is an optional extra!
Yikes! No, for me... just the "normal" tailor position:

Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Oh, you mean Half Lotus!

I can understand your reaction though, I mean the jockstrap is just a little too much really, isn't it? :tongue:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

gregkavarnos wrote:Oh, you mean Half Lotus!

I can understand your reaction though, I mean the jockstrap is just a little too much really, isn't it? :tongue:
:namaste:
He's just protecting his jewels from being crushed by his heels.
Shaun :tongue:
Paul

Post by Paul »

The position I use is something of a combination of siddhasana and the pose that Dudjom Lingpa and others are pictured in.

I don't believe that lotus posture is possible for most, nor is it really necessary if you can get a good, grounded position.

Here's an excellent article if anyone does want to sit in a full lotus:Growing up a Lotus

As for something to sit on, I either sit on a sofa for some decent back support or on a zabuton and the edge of a yoga block.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

It is a mirical that I am sitting cross legged, nevermind sitting like that....I would be stuck that way forever.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Sit on deer skin
Protect your internal resources
Insulate your seat
From disruptive earth transmitted energies
Could we benefit others
If we ourselves
Buffet back and forth
Under shifting currents of worldly energies.
(page 54 - 55)
http://www.amazon.com/Images-Enlightenm ... 1559390247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Folded wool blanket and sit quarter lotus. Very simple and feel grounded.
Mal

Post by Mal »

My armchair.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Anders wrote:
Mr. G wrote:I used nadachair for a long time.
This looks awesome. Looks like it could be a very helpful tool for supporting the lotus for people working their way towards that as well.
I can recommend nadachair I have one - it's also useful to take for hiking, I can use it if I want to sit somewhere and enjoy nature without my back starting to hurt. I have lower back issues.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Do you people strech after meditation?

I usually do a couple of streches before but im thinkin that i will also start streching after sitting
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Outside I sit on a folded towel on whatever rock or log takes my fancy. Indoors I use whatever comes to hand - a rolled-up camping mat at the moment. This is more a result of being broke than hardcore asceticism... Though whenever I've sat on a 'proper' meditation cushion I've found them extremely annoying.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

TaTa wrote:Do you people strech after meditation?

I usually do a couple of streches before but im thinkin that i will also start streching after sitting
I normally do a bit of stretching, and have by now convinced myself that it is good to do so.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I do. Some schools teach a series of movements (mostly stretching & self-massage) for after meditation. Tendai is one.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Jikan wrote:

I usually do a couple of stretches before but i'm thinking that i will also start stretching after sitting
I do. Some schools teach a series of movements (mostly stretching & self-massage) for after meditation. Tendai is one.
Thank's. I'll try to search for that series of movements since im starting to have some knee pain even though im constantly stretching my hips. (my flexibility really sucked before i started to get into meditation). If you have a link it will be appreciated

Also another question. is it better to switch between legs in the half lotus(for example one session right leg, another one left leg) or is it better to stay with the right leg and work on the flexibility of the left leg aside from the meditation? Im asking this to eventually have a healthy full lotus posture
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Couch cushion. I've thought about getting a "proper" cushion but resources are limited and, quite frankly, the one I have is working so I haven't had much motivation to change anything.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

I have a 7"x18"x1.5" rectangle made of coconut hulls and covered in canvas which I put on the ground wherever.
lowlydog

Post by lowlydog »

catmoon wrote:These days I'm using two pillows off the bed and a piece of the foldaway bed in the living room. And earplugs.
Hi catmoon you seem like a really happy kitty so this probably isn't a problem for you. But if you or anyone else suffers from sloth and torpor :zzz: during meditation, they may want to rethink using pillows from the bed as cushions or sitting on a bed while meditating.

Every night you use this pillow and bed as a tool for sleeping, as a result of this they become infused with this sleeping energy, or to put it simply we associate these items with sleeping. If you can, your place of meditation, and props such as, cushions, blankets, etc... should be used for the purpose of meditation only.

Over time they will become infused with positive energy, and can work to keep the mind sharp. :meditate:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should cut loose some cash and get some dedicated gear. I've been meaning to for a long time now anyways.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lowlydog

Post by lowlydog »

catmoon wrote:I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should cut loose some cash and get some dedicated gear. I've been meaning to for a long time now anyways.
JUST TO CLARIFY:

You don't have to go out and buy "new" gear, if you are comfortable using a towel or pillow etc... great!!! But if possible dedicate these items for the use of meditation practice only. This will be benificial to your practice in the long run.

Don't want to fuel any unnessary consumerism. :oops:

Return to “Meditation”