A question about the Maha-Cundi Dharani

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
ananda

A question about the Maha-Cundi Dharani

Post by ananda »

In the sutra espousing the chanting of the mantra it states: "If one completes a recitation of this mantra 200,000 times, he will dream of the buddhas, bodhisattvas, pratyekabuddhas and sravakas, and see a black substance being vomited out of one's mouth."

"Should an individual commit a heavy karmic transgression, upon reciting the mantra 200,000 times he or she shall dream of the buddhas and bodhisattvas and will also, in his or her dreams, vomit a black substance. "
The Sutra says the Dharani to be spoken to achieve these visual signs is uttered is:
NAMO SAPTANAM SAMYAKSAMBUDDHA KOTINAM. TADYATHA: OM, CALE, CULE, CUNDI SVAHA.

Now my question is: Can you chant just the heart mantra which is : Om Cale Cule Cundi Svaha
And still get the same results as though as if you chanted the entire dharani or do you have to chant the entire thing ?
Don't know if it'll work but the promise of those auspicious signs makes me hopeful of such consoling dreams. If you can attest to the validity of the sutra please do !

In other words can you chant the mantra like this and still receive the benefits the sutra speaks of ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PGu-KEj ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
LastLegend

Re: A question about the Maha-Cundi Dharani

Post by LastLegend »

Yes, the same result.
It’s eye blinking.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Generally in mantra practices you recite the longer mantra while visualising the Deity in front. When visualizing yourself as the Deity, you recite the heart mantra.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
littletsu

Post by littletsu »

Well...I think the more detailed you do the practice the more benefits you get from it.

Here is a very detailed explanation of how to do the Cundi mantra:

http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditat ... enment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have extensive experience with this mantra?
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

ananda wrote:(...)
Don't know if it'll work but the promise of those auspicious signs makes me hopeful of such consoling dreams. If you can attest to the validity of the sutra please do !
(...)
I have read somewhere that, if after continuous and enduring practice one experiences supernatural auspicious signs, one should not widely tell others of them and should instead ask one's teacher/monk/nun in private.

The best way for you to see the validity of the sutra is to, I think, practise its method diligently and observe the effects. I also think it is best not to practise while being doubtful of the sutra. I have seen sutra that say something like "this dharani will definitely bring you the said benefits, unless practised not with the most faithfulness and goodness". Practising while doubting whether a method will not work may very well be a self-fulfilling prophecy/doubt. So I've learned.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Meditation”