inspiration for cemetery contemplations

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Mkoll

Re: inspiration for cemetery contemplations

Post by Mkoll »

Aemilius wrote:Thanks for your link!
I don't see this topic as "morbid", the emphasis is on the fact that it forms a natural bridge to the scientific knowledge about the formation and disintegration of the human form.
We don't regard it morbid when plants die and leaves fall every autumn. We know and accept that it belongs to the natural cycle of life. Human life is not different form it.
Yes, conceptualizing it in a really broad way linked to impermanence as you have makes it not morbid, but natural. But the actual sight (and smell) of mutilated human corpses is gruesome and repulsive. There is good reason that meditating on this is called meditation on "the foul", asubha in Pali.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Thanks!
It depends on the circumstances how one will react, mutilated corpses will certainly and naturally invoke disgust and repulsive feelings. However, the great Theravadin commentator Buddhaghosha says that the 32 impurities of the body are not impure in themselves. Seeing them as impure, asubha, is a reaction caused by one's attachment to life. When we are free from this basic attachment life and existence, they will no longer appear as impure. This is an instance where Buddhaghosha understands and explains the Mahayana teaching of emptiness (of inherent nature). Foulness of the corpse is dependent on one's emotions. It is not foul by itself, thus foulness is empty of inherent nature.

I have piece of human skull at home. How I see that piece of human skull depends on one's state of mind. If you meditate on the four Brahma Viharas, and have some level of equanimity and the rest, you will see that piece of skull as a neutral object. The concept of death exists in one's mind, the emotions that it invokes also exist in one's mind. They do not exist in the object (skull etc..).
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Another contemplation of the body is via the elements. See MN 140.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Places to visit on Your summer vacation:

phpBB [video]
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
tlee

Post by tlee »

Driving on major freeways, I've seen several fresh accidents. One involved a flipped convertible. Human was smeared across the road like butter and a headless naked corpse several meters down the freeway. Officials had just arrived and hadn't even covered the body. I wonder if pulverized parts of them were flung into the tire cover of my vehicle like mud as I drove past. They had been drinking and it was more than one person who died, the other body was thrown over a barrier into a dry river bed if I remember correctly. I don't know why the body was naked, possibly the clothes were ripped off as it skid across the ground?

Death is all around us.

I like this subject. It gets me out of my short sightedness for a while even if it does make my stomach a little unsettled.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

phpBB [video]
svaha
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Very interesting video. The fourth stage reminded me of a deflated balloon.

Return to “Meditation”