Sequential Meditation Forms

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
vajrahorizon

Sequential Meditation Forms

Post by vajrahorizon »

G'day all,

I'm interested in reestablishing my meditation practice after many years.

What I really want is to build stability, then insight, then possibly I might enter into some tantric practices if I find the right teacher.

What is the most stabilising (calming, settling) form of meditation. Breath counting, breath watching?

Regards

VH
Jnana

Re: Sequential Meditation Forms

Post by Jnana »

Counting the breath is helpful for establishing mindfulness. After mindfulness is sufficiently developed, there's no need to continue with counting, and one can then attend to the breath silently.

And there are also other useful object-supports for developing mental calm and pliancy, such as maintaining a visualization of the Buddha's form, and so on.
vajrahorizon

Re: Sequential Meditation Forms

Post by vajrahorizon »

Jnana wrote:Counting the breath is helpful for establishing mindfulness. After mindfulness is sufficiently developed, there's no need to continue with counting, and one can then attend to the breath silently.

And there are also other useful object-supports for developing mental calm and pliancy, such as maintaining a visualization of the Buddha's form, and so on.
Thanks, I want to start from scratch again and not get sidetracked as I have previously.

VH

Return to “Meditation”