Bhutan: children's rights in monastic schools

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Bhutan: children's rights in monastic schools

Postby Indrajala » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Now, a groundbreaking project is entering this closed-off world. A child protection framework is being set up within the monastic school system. Designed and funded by Unicef Bhutan, it aims to instil the concept of child rights into the monastic orders and, more practically, provide children in the monasteries with a way of reporting violence, neglect, mistreatment or abuse. It aims to forge links between the monastic orders, the police and state child welfare services.

See here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-develo ... ic-schools

This is a really good idea.

I've heard stories from monks who grew up in the old days. I imagine much of Bhutan really isn't so different from what they went through.

I wonder if this might be implemented elsewhere in Asia?
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: Bhutan: children's rights in monastic schools

Postby Yudron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm

What wonderful news! May it spread to the whole world of Buddhist monastic life!
Yudron

Re: Bhutan: children's rights in monastic schools

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm

This is great to see. Child Protection offices will go a long way to protecting children's rights and increasing the confidence of people in monastic institutions.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Return to News & Current Events