Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Josef

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am What is the best resource to become familiar with using the damaru and the mudras for the medium and long tun? I mean they are in the text, but there's a lot of guesswork if that's all I use.
The best way to learn how to use the damaru is by practicing in a group.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Josef wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:22 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am What is the best resource to become familiar with using the damaru and the mudras for the medium and long tun? I mean they are in the text, but there's a lot of guesswork if that's all I use.
I have a Lama I can ask for basic instruction in a thing like that, but i'm not sure that would help with the specific way to use it with the Tuns and Ganapuja, would it?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

The damaru isn’t used in medium and long tuns. A ritual drum is used in the Ngagkong but it’s not necessary.

Best resource for the mudras is the Tundus Tundrin Tungyas dvd.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:27 pm The damaru isn’t used in medium and long tuns. A ritual drum is used in the Ngagkong but it’s not necessary.

Best resource for the mudras is the Tundus Tundrin Tungyas dvd.
Ah thank you, I will pick that up.

-Khunu Lama
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 pm
I have a Lama I can ask for basic instruction in a thing like that, but i'm not sure that would help with the specific way to use it with the Tuns and Ganapuja, would it?
I think Josef likely meant practice with DC members to learn how it’s done in the DC (which one presumes is how Rinpoche did it, or at least relatively close).
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

laowhining wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am

I think Josef likely meant practice with DC members to learn how it’s done in the DC (which one presumes is how Rinpoche did it, or at least relatively close).
I'd love that if it were possible for me, and would jump at the chance. One of the supreme ironies of my Dharma life is that I have access to all kinds of amazing Dharma teachers from other lineages, but no in person access to DC people at all, and regrettably never got to meet ChNN in person.

-Khunu Lama
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Can anyone conect to the prqcticing toghether today?
Josef

Post by Josef »

It definitely would help. Doing ganapuja or another practice with someone who knows how to perform the mudra and instruments is an excellent way to learn.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am

I'd love that if it were possible for me, and would jump at the chance. One of the supreme ironies of my Dharma life is that I have access to all kinds of amazing Dharma teachers from other lineages, but no in person access to DC people at all, and regrettably never got to meet ChNN in person.
you can still do your best and learn from who you have access to.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Josef wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 pm

It’s all relative anyway. Even senior SMS teachers do the mudras a bit differently sometimes. The main point is the intention and awareness, I think. You could learn what is available to you and do your best and then if you happen to practice with DC sangha at some point, learn then what’s different, if anything. :D
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

laowhining wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:54 am
Josef wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 pm

It’s all relative anyway. Even senior SMS teachers do the mudras a bit differently sometimes. The main point is the intention and awareness, I think. You could learn what is available to you and do your best and then if you happen to practice with DC sangha at some point, learn then what’s different, if anything. :D
Yeah this is pretty much my plan, I regularly do a Kriya practice that has all kinds of mudras etc., they are just very different than what's in the tuns.

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

So I’m trying to really apply myself to the Short Tun for now. I bought the book on it and it is quite helpful. It doesn’t say how many mantra repetitions to do during the Anuyoga portion, is there a set number?

-Khunu Lama
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm So I’m trying to really apply myself to the Short Tun for now. I bought the book on it and it is quite helpful. It doesn’t say how many mantra repetitions to do during the Anuyoga portion, is there a set number?
Depends on you really. I think traditionally 3 is a minimum when it comes to mantras.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm So I’m trying to really apply myself to the Short Tun for now. I bought the book on it and it is quite helpful. It doesn’t say how many mantra repetitions to do during the Anuyoga portion, is there a set number?
Rinpoche did, in collective practices, usually a round. In personal or intensive practice there is no limit if one remains in state of contemplation.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

ChNN wrote in his Teachings on the Thun and the Ganapuja that in Collective Practices we can recite the mantra about 21 times. So I personally take that as a minimum and do what I have time for as continuously and one-pointedly as I can without distraction.
There's a lot more explanation and elaboration in this great little book. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

:good: Thanks Mantrik. Then correction 21 it is.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

In a webcast ChNN said:
"recitation of seven Mantras is short practice, fourteen Mantras are medium and 21 Mantras are long practice"
Lost In Transmission
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

And Guru Rinpoche says that minimun is one mala, 100+8 repetitions.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Dakini-Teachings ... 9627341363
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

The above answers are probably better, but I remember in one webcast ChNN talked about people saying they didn't have any time for transformation and he said "how can you not have time to say a mantra 30 times?" ...something like that.
So if I'm very rushed I'll do at least 30 (sometimes 21x, which I have heard as a minimum).
If I'm only doing a short thun, say at the beginning of the day, and not incorporating anther practice or focusing on accumulating mantras, then I generally do a minimum of one mala. It really doesn't even take much longer than 30x and there is not doubt that one full mala is a solid short practice.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

climb-up wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:59 am The above answers are probably better, but I remember in one webcast ChNN talked about people saying they didn't have any time for transformation and he said "how can you not have time to say a mantra 30 times?" ...something like that.
So if I'm very rushed I'll do at least 30 (sometimes 21x, which I have heard as a minimum).
If I'm only doing a short thun, say at the beginning of the day, and not incorporating anther practice or focusing on accumulating mantras, then I generally do a minimum of one mala. It really doesn't even take much longer than 30x and there is not doubt that one full mala is a solid short practice.
Yes, of course it is. Sometimes Im realy wondering about ppl who consider themselves dzogchen yogis, but they can hardly do any formal practice, which is longer, then 5mnts. In first level of SMS Rinpoche made a schedule for students in which one thun should last at least 3hrs.

Return to “Dzogchen”