The throat chakra

Tirthan

The throat chakra

Post by Tirthan »

Hello,
I have read in some text of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche that the throat chakra is not situated in the center of the throat but rather lower, in the base of throat, where throat meets the body (don't remember the text but the information I know for sure).
But Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is a teacher from Bonpo-tradition. So I am not sure if it is the same also for Buddhist tantra?
(Because some things differ very much - e.g. where Buddhists have OM Ah HUM, Bonpos have A OM HUM; the way Bonpos do 9 purification breathings differs too ...)
krodha

Re: The throat chakra

Post by krodha »

Tirthan wrote:Hello,
I have read in some text of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche that the throat chakra is not situated in the center of the throat but rather lower, in the base of throat, where throat meets the body (don't remember the text but the information I know for sure).
But Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is a teacher from Bonpo-tradition. So I am not sure if it is the same also for Buddhist tantra?
(Because some things differ very much - e.g. where Buddhists have OM Ah HUM, Bonpos have A OM HUM; the way Bonpos do 9 purification breathings differs too ...)
I know some traditions hold the throat chakra to be directly at the adam's apple, for instance in Lama Thubten Yeshe's Bliss of Inner Fire book he explicitly states "The throat chakra is located directly behind the Adam's apple". But you should go with whatever your teacher says, if Tenzin Wangyal is your teacher and says the throat chakra is in the base of the throat then that is right, it's more about the connection to the transmission and the lineage than anything.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

asunthatneversets wrote: I know some traditions hold the throat chakra to be directly at the adam's apple, for instance in Lama Thubten Yeshe's Bliss of Inner Fire book he explicitly states "The throat chakra is located directly behind the Adam's apple". But you should go with whatever your teacher says, if Tenzin Wangyal is your teacher and says the throat chakra is in the base of the throat then that is right, it's more about the connection to the transmission and the lineage than anything.
I agree with asunthatneversets.
However, we have to consider a person's anatomy, since some people have short throat, while others have longer....
So, the exact spot is not so easy to be defined by general rules. :smile:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Tirthan

Post by Tirthan »

asunthatneversets wrote: I know some traditions hold the throat chakra to be directly at the adam's apple, for instance in Lama Thubten Yeshe's Bliss of Inner Fire book he explicitly states "The throat chakra is located directly behind the Adam's apple". But you should go with whatever your teacher says, if Tenzin Wangyal is your teacher and says the throat chakra is in the base of the throat then that is right, it's more about the connection to the transmission and the lineage than anything.
Thanks, so obviously it is not the same for all traditions - Lama Thubten Yeshe was a Gelugpa-Master.
I am actually mainly Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche´s student - I mostly do practices that He transmits. (You may know that Tenzin Wangyal was for sime period of His life closely co-operating with Namkhai Norbu´s Dzogchen Community.)
krodha

Post by krodha »

Tirthan wrote: Thanks, so obviously it is not the same for all traditions - Lama Thubten Yeshe was a Gelugpa-Master.
I am actually mainly Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche´s student - I mostly do practices that He transmits. (You may know that Tenzin Wangyal was for sime period of His life closely co-operating with Namkhai Norbu´s Dzogchen Community.)
I'm also a student of Norbu Rinpoche and for his visualizations (I'm of course no authority, but) I would say the general area is fine, just the throat in general. For example; for the OM AH HUNG visualization, the AH in the throat should actually be radiant with light and can be as big or small as you'd like, so if you feel unsure about where to place it, you can have it encompass the entire throat area if that helps. It's really whatever is best for you and what you feel resonates with your practice.
lobster

Post by lobster »

You need to feel what part of the wheel is opening for you. In other words move into the feeling of the focus rather than too much specific localisation. If given more superficial instructions, as has been said, go with that alignment.
When working in this area, because I am a visual orientated person, it was the visualisation that was more my focus. For others it may be the mantra sensation/sound or other aspects they are involved with.

Hope that is helpful. :namaste:

Return to “Dzogchen”