Any dzogchenpas ever feel the need to sell buddhist books?

heart

Re: Any dzogchenpas ever feel the need to sell buddhist book

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
heart wrote:
Sönam wrote:
Hi magnus,

For Dzogchen you don't need books. :rolling:

S
So why don't you throw out your Longchenpa books? :smile:

/magnus
To found quotes when we discuss together ... otherwise you have difficulties to accept my sayings :jumping:

Sönam
But I don't accept them anyway, right? So why all this this effort and striving Serge? :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Just picked up "The Crystal and The Way of Light" from our dharma centre's a library. A book about Dzogchen - the writer is Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. I don't think ChNN is against books-even Buddhist books. I watched an interview with him in Hong Kong recently where he praised the Chinese people\s interest in and study of Buddhism.

In terms of your own personal spiritual journey, if you are honestly at a point where you think you are ready to leave those things behind for greater depth in your meditation practice, I am of course in no position to discourage you. It sounds like this journey has been well-thought out. My comments were generally pointing out that in spiritual life we have many "end-points" feeling that we have finally come to the end of our searching, and inquiry and are ready to just focus.

The thing is though, even those points in our spiritual life are still subject to the reality that we call impermanence. So the "final conclusion" might not be as final as one might think. As I mentioned before, just look at the various journeys of all the people on this forum.

These are admittedly words from a gradualist who knows nothing about Dzogchen, though, so take them with a grain of salt!

mega metta,
k
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

JKhedrup wrote:Just picked up "The Crystal and The Way of Light" from our dharma centre's a library.
What a great book! This was the one that sealed it for me regarding the study/practice of Tibetan Buddhism. My first contact was the Bardo Thodol, that really sparked my interest, but the "The Crystal and The Way of Light", well, that was it! Hooked!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I am looking forward to it! It has been highly recommended. Dharma books can be expensive so I was so happy to find it in our centre's library.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

JKhedrup wrote:Just picked up "The Crystal and The Way of Light" from our dharma centre's a library. A book about Dzogchen - the writer is Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. I don't think ChNN is against books-even Buddhist books. I watched an interview with him in Hong Kong recently where he praised the Chinese people\s interest in and study of Buddhism.

In terms of your own personal spiritual journey, if you are honestly at a point where you think you are ready to leave those things behind for greater depth in your meditation practice, I am of course in no position to discourage you. It sounds like this journey has been well-thought out. My comments were generally pointing out that in spiritual life we have many "end-points" feeling that we have finally come to the end of our searching, and inquiry and are ready to just focus.

The thing is though, even those points in our spiritual life are still subject to the reality that we call impermanence. So the "final conclusion" might not be as final as one might think. As I mentioned before, just look at the various journeys of all the people on this forum.

These are admittedly words from a gradualist who knows nothing about Dzogchen, though, so take them with a grain of salt!

mega metta,
k
After the joke, it is clear that ChNN is not against book. He always recommand it, saying that we can found many answers in books, because it's words of great masters.

S
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Yeah, Namnkhai Norbu has never been anti-book. Would be pretty weird if he was given how many books he has authored and translated to preserve so that people could continue to read them.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
heart

Post by heart »

All books that deal with the three inner tantras would be a mistake to get rid of, unless you had them around for 20 years and the translation is still not communicating with you.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”