ChNNR Longevity Mon Lam

ngodrup

ChNNR Longevity Mon Lam

Post by ngodrup »

I assume there is more than lone Longevity prayer in existence for Rinpoche.
Does anyone have one?
Malcolm

Re: ChNNR Longevity Mon Lam

Post by Malcolm »

ngodrup wrote:I assume there is more than lone Longevity prayer in existence for Rinpoche.
Does anyone have one?

Generally it is just the one at the end of the medium thun.
ratna

Post by ratna »

What Malcolm said.

That said, I found the following ones sitting on my hard drive (since times immemorial and without any idea of their provenance):

དཀོན་མཆོག་དཀྱིལ་འཁོར་མ་ལུས་སྤྱི་འདུས་པ༎
རྩ་གསུམ་ཆོས་སྐྱོང་རྒྱ་མཚོའི་མཐུ་སྟོབས་ཀྱིས༎
འགྲོ་འདུལ་ནམ་མཁའི་ནོ་རྦུའི་ཞབས་པད་བརྟན༎
བསྟན་འགྲོའི་དོན་ཆེན་གེགས་མེད་འགྲུབ་པར་ཤོག།

kön-chok kyi-nkor ma-lü chi-dü-pa
tsa-sum chö-kyong gya-tsö thu-top-kyi
dro-ndül nam-khe nor-bü zhap-pe ten
ten-drö dön-chen gek-me drup-par shok

I, the mountain disciple from Tolu Tharling Dzogchen Monastery (Tolu Gompa), Ngawang Tsultrim, compose this Long Life Prayer for the One Father Root Master Dharma Raja, H.E. Chhogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpochhe, from my Body, Speech and Mind with strong faith and devotion, in front of the Great Stupa Chharung Khashor, praying and putting into words, and strongly asking the deities and Lamas to fulfill my wishes of this prayer. This is written on the tenth day of the sixth month of the female wood pig year on the auspicious occasion of the birthday of Guru Padmasambhava and the month of the Buddha Shakyamuni's first Teachings.

My quick and clumsy translation:

By the power of the ocean of Three Roots and Protectors of the Dharma
Unifying all the Jewels and Mandalas,
May the lotus feet of Namkhai Norbu, tamer of beings, stand firm,
And may great benefit to Teachings and beings be accomplished without obstacles!

Another one is this:

ཨོྃ་སྭ་སྟི

རྫོགས་ཆེན་རྣལ་འབྱོར་ནམ་མཁའི་ནོར་བུ་ཡི༎
ཞབ་པད་བརྟན་ཅིང་ཟབ་གསང་ཆོས་འཁོར་བསྐོར༎་
སྐལ་ལྡན་བློ་ཚོགས་ཉམས་རྟོགས་ཡོན་ཏན་འཕེལ༎
ཚེ་གཅིག་སངས་རྒྱས་འཁོར་བ་དོང་སྤྲུགས་ཤོག༎

om swasti

dzog-chen nel-jor Nam-khe Nor-bu-yi
shab-pe ten-ching sab-sang chö-khor kor
kel-den lo-tshok nyam-tok yön-ten phel
tshe-chik sang-gye khor-wa tong-druk shog

meaning something like:

Om svasti.
May the lotus feet of Namkhai Norbu, yogin of the Great Perfection, stand firm,
May he turn the wheel of the profound and secret Dharma,
May the intelligence, experience, realization and qualities of His students increase,
May they become Buddhas in a single lifetime, may the samsara be emptied.

I may well be wrong, but I think this is possibly the one composed by Chatral Rinpoche.

(Also, and it is a bit off-topic because it is not specifically a long life prayer: there is also a very nice short supplication in Tibetan written by Malcolm and published in the Mirror many years ago, which I cannot find at the moment.)

But, AFAIK, everyone recites the general prayer in the Thun book. ChNN does not emphasize this common practice of reciting personally addressed long life prayers composed by famous Lamas.

R
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

ratna,

Yes, the above long life prayer is from Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche.

And here's the short supplication you mentioned, from Mirror 64 (I couldn't copypaste the text, it turns out garbled when I paste it), so uploaded as image attachment:
Attachments
ChNNGuruYogaPrayer.png
ChNNGuruYogaPrayer.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Perfect. I understood that it is not Rinpoche's style, yet I felt the desire
to do this traditional practice using the vajra words of a great beings
such as the Sakya Trizin, Dalai Lama or the like. And who can ask for better
than Chatral Sangye Dorje?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

It's not Rinpoche's style to promote His shabten because He is a good Lama. It is not so self-effacing to ask one's students to pray for your own long-life. But that doesn't mean the students still shouldn't pray for His long life on a regular basis. Not only will this help keep Rinpoche here in this world for the sake of His students and all sentient beings, but it helps develop the attitude of heart-felt devotion. In addition, it lengthens one's own life. Typically, it is one of the Teacher's senior students (in the form of om-dze) who initiates the shabten in a group setting. Similarly, it is one of the Teacher's students who asks some other (usually high Lama) to compose the shabten, although sometimes such Lamas spontaneously write some other Lama a shabten without being asked.

I was taught to say my Teachers' shabtens every single time I dedicated merit, even if only for offering a cup of tea or a single candle, and for sure after every thun. IME, this is a great habit to develop.

In general, the students should do everything in their power to insure their Teacher remain in the world since the Teacher is more important than all the other Buddhas in the 10 directions and three times.

Just my two cents.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:It's not Rinpoche's style to promote His shabten because He is a good Lama.

ChNN uses a generic one because it covers all one's gurus.

M
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

On ChNNR and Longevity.

In 1991, when ChNNR was ill with Leukemia, a friend of mine told me he willed his life energy to ChNNR, with no reservation.
I believe that anyone can do this. I believe that this can be really helpful.

I found this in my files - though I don't know who wrote it.

In essence dwelling beyond any concept whatsoever, his nature being the heart teachings of all the Buddhas, and his energy being the magical display of the Dzogchen Masters of the three times: may the body, speech, and mind of the Dharma King, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu remain firm on this earth, in supreme good health and with total success in all things.

May the Longsal Terma teachings, The Luminous Clarity of the Universe, Heart Essence of the Dakinis, fill the six realms and 10 directions, leading all who come into this great gesture of presence, to the path of enlightenment in one lifetime.

Great Lama Longsal Rolpai Dorje, please remember me!

Return to “Dzogchen”