Direct introduction and purification of the 6 lokas

bryandavis

Re: Direct introduction and purification of the 6 lokas

Post by bryandavis »

PRELIMINARY PRACTICE OF THE LONGSAL CYCLE
$6.50
[Reserved*] The explanation and practice text for the Longsal Ngondro that Rinpoche transmitted during the April 2002 in Margarita Island. It is a version of the Purification of The Six Lokas Practice, which incorporates Vajrasattva practice. Rinpoche has indicated that this can be practiced by anyone who has received his general cycle of transmission

So I am bit confused. What does this statement mean that I bolded?
Thanks for any reply. Still trying to figure out how to navigate with in the DC.

Bryan.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

bryandavis wrote:PRELIMINARY PRACTICE OF THE LONGSAL CYCLE
$6.50
[Reserved*] The explanation and practice text for the Longsal Ngondro that Rinpoche transmitted during the April 2002 in Margarita Island. It is a version of the Purification of The Six Lokas Practice, which incorporates Vajrasattva practice. Rinpoche has indicated that this can be practiced by anyone who has received his general cycle of transmission

So I am bit confused. What does this statement mean that I bolded?
Thanks for any reply. Still trying to figure out how to navigate with in the DC.

Bryan.
Hi Bryan,

"--- received his general cycle of transmission" refers to receiving the wang or initiation for ChNNR's Terma Cycle, The Longsal Khandro Nyingtig.

Hope this helps.

ob
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

bryandavis wrote: Thanks for any reply. Still trying to figure out how to navigate with in the DC.
In the end, since you will hear many different answers from students, it is always better to ask Rinpoche himself personally. The reason you will hear many different answers is that Rinpoche has given many different answers to different students at various times in different circumstances.

In general, this ngondro practice can be practiced if you have the lung of the text, and Rinpoche often uses methods of introduction which are from Longsal such as the Yeshe Zangthal. He will give the lung if requested.

But when you have questions and are really not sure, it is always better to ask him directly.

M
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Thanks both OB and Malcom for the repy, good to know.

So that lung is something that could be given at the end of a retreat per request. I was able to follow the live sreatm of the last three retreats and also attend one day of the recent Korwa Yedal. I dont recall that lung (the longsal ngondro) being given, but I could go on the replay site and see if it was. If not I will pursue and request that.

All the best
Bryan
frank123

Post by frank123 »

If Rinpoche gives the lung for the 6 lokas at the end of the upcoming Massachusetts retreat will one be able to practice the 6 lokas and incorporate Vajrasattva into the practice?or is Vajrasattva with six lokas part of the Longsal Ngondro only and need the specific lung?Apologies if it sounds like i'm repeating myself.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

frank123 wrote:If Rinpoche gives the lung for the 6 lokas at the end of the upcoming Massachusetts retreat will one be able to practice the 6 lokas and incorporate Vajrasattva into the practice?or is Vajrasattva with six lokas part of the Longsal Ngondro only and need the specific lung?Apologies if it sounds like i'm repeating myself.
The Longsal Ngondro is something very specific, it is not the same thing as the retreat he gave recently, though in essence it is the same.
jbaumannmontilla

Post by jbaumannmontilla »

Rinpoche is giving a retreat on this in January isn't he? Maybe good to wait to start until then?

Costa Rica
January 9-11, 2015
The Teaching for this retreat is Longsal “Ati Lam-ngon” (Preliminary Practice of Longsal)

http://melong.com/?page_id=329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frank123

Post by frank123 »

Malcolm wrote:
frank123 wrote:If Rinpoche gives the lung for the 6 lokas at the end of the upcoming Massachusetts retreat will one be able to practice the 6 lokas and incorporate Vajrasattva into the practice?or is Vajrasattva with six lokas part of the Longsal Ngondro only and need the specific lung?Apologies if it sounds like i'm repeating myself.
The Longsal Ngondro is something very specific, it is not the same thing as the retreat he gave recently, though in essence it is the same.
I was studying the Paris retreat from 2006 where the 6 lokas incorporates Vajrasattva.So would a 6 lokas lung be suffice to do the practice from this retreat?
frank123

Post by frank123 »

jbaumannmontilla wrote:Rinpoche is giving a retreat on this in January isn't he? Maybe good to wait to start until then?

Costa Rica
January 9-11, 2015
The Teaching for this retreat is Longsal “Ati Lam-ngon” (Preliminary Practice of Longsal)

http://melong.com/?page_id=329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads up.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

frank123 wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
I was studying the Paris retreat from 2006 where the 6 lokas incorporates Vajrasattva.So would a 6 lokas lung be suffice to do the practice from this retreat?
No Idea. At this point you really need to ask the boss.
frank123

Post by frank123 »

O.k. Malcolm thank you.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

The lung for the longsal ngondro was given in todays webcast @ about a bit over an hour into it. :twothumbsup:
That worked out well.
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

Hi, sorry for adding a bit out of topic question, but is standard transmission and direct introduction given by ChNN enough to practice Dream Yoga as described in "Dream Yoga And Practice Of Natural Light" or shell I request special lung or transmission for that practice ?
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

SuryaMitra wrote:Hi, sorry for adding a bit out of topic question, but is standard transmission and direct introduction given by ChNN enough to practice Dream Yoga as described in "Dream Yoga And Practice Of Natural Light" or shell I request special lung or transmission for that practice ?
:namaste:

Excellent posts all. - This question is actually difficult to answer and requires a bit of context, especially in light of the fact that we are in the thread of "Direct introduction and purification of the 6 lokas."

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... ga#p211489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can nose around in this thread for various thoughts about dream yoga.

To answer your question, all practices, whether dream yoga, Direct Introduction or purification of the Six Lokas, go better with "special lung and transmission."

That said, Dr. Michael Katz, the DC accredited Dream Yoga tacher, gives dream yoga classes to people who have not received dream yoga, or any other transmission.

My 2 cents - you can try the practice after just reading the book, but if you don't get the result you want then seek further instruction.

That said, some people say that somewhere in the universe there is always a Master giving transmission. If you can "tune in" to this, perhaps through very strong prayer and devotion, maybe it is the same as ChNNR's World Wide Transmission, or any Master's transmission, for sake of getting into the state of Guru Yoga: everyone accepts the example of the omnicient Longchenpa and Ven. Jigmed Lingpa.

So relating to the OPs question in this thread,

"Hi, Does receiving direct introduction give one the lung for a specific 6 lokas practice?I read that for one to practice purification of the 6 lokas presented in the precious vase,receiving direct introduction is suffice, is that true?"

so if you tune into a universal transmission, and "Get It," is this an adequate "buy in" to be considered as a direct introduction for purposes of doing a practice requiring this, or is the requirement of "showing up" for a world wide transmission, but not "Getting It" sufficient?

So perhaps the key point is to persevere through great effort, trying different techniques and introductions, until you "get it." Or - perhaps if you are following Dzogchen, then you just relax into your natural state without cause or condition.

Or, perhaps all the above, without any consideration of past, present or future.

Hmnnnn - youth wants to know!

:smile:

:heart:

Return to “Dzogchen”