Five elements

qwerty13

Five elements

Post by qwerty13 »

Hi

I have not find any explanation in to purification of five elements that is done in the beginning of ati guru yoga (I`m bit new to dzogchen, received direct transmission from Chnn couple of months ago). I mean that I know what to visualize and how, but I don`t completly understand why this purification of elements is done, how it is related to ati guru yoga and what are its benefits. So if anyone can give some explanation to these, thank you.
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Soap-Bubble

Re: Five elements

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Five elements are connected to energy, we balance out our energy issues to improve its condition. A lot depends on it, not only health, but clarity of mind, memory, well-being, defense from provocations, capacity, etc. Unbalanced energy can be a reason of failure to recognize rigpa.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
qwerty13

Post by qwerty13 »

Soap-Bubble wrote:Five elements are connected to energy, we balance out our energy issues to improve its condition. A lot depends on it, not only health, but clarity of mind, memory, well-being, defense from provocations, capacity, etc. Unbalanced energy can be a reason of failure to recognize rigpa.
Ok thanks for clarification. I was already kinda thinking about it like this, but wanted to make sure.
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

I'm not 100 percent sure about this, I have not seen teachings or materials by ChNN or any other authoritative sources, but it seems to me intuitively/experientially, also, that the 5 element work we do is working with the purifications of the kleshas (negative emotional states) which when purified manifest as the 5 wisdoms of Buddha mind ie, the 5 Dhyani Buddhas.
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

5 dhyani buddhas represent skandhas\wisdoms and 5 elements are represented by their consorts. I think this picture is a bit theoretical, though, and whether any direct connection between elements and wisdoms exist I don't know. There are differences between buddhist traditions sometimes, like water and space elements being swapped in this picture, which makes it sound like there's no direction connection, otherwise no swapping would be possible.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness

Return to “Dzogchen”