Dzogchen Books

firefly

Dzogchen Books

Post by firefly »

Hello all. I'm a fairly long time Therevadha practitioner who has just started reading about Bon and Dzogchen. I feel a bit like I've found a new and wonderful toy:) Can you recommend the best book or books to obtain for Dzogchen? The only one I have so far is by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, "Healing With Form, Energy, And Light: The Five Elements In Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, And Dzogchen" and I really like it. Before I ordered another one of his books, I thought I'd would ask those of you who are more familiar with the subject. Thank you.
Paul

Re: Dzogchen Books

Post by Paul »

There are some really good Dzogchen books out there these days. The first I ever read were Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's "As It Is" volumes 1 and 2. I really don't think they can be beaten. Tulku Urgyen's role was to introduce as many people he could to the nature of their minds and he was remarkably good at it.

Of course it's important to note that Dzogchen cannot be learned from a book - it only comes from working with a teacher. So there's a limited point in books until you've had a teacher give you teachings on the nature of mind.

If you are coming from a Thereavada background you might like this book - it's writings from Theravadan monks who have had Dzogchen teachings: https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/small- ... t-mountain
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal »

I second pauls reccomendations, AS IT IS VOL 1&2 are perhaps the very best books from the great dzogchen master Tulku Urgyen.
others are : Natural great perfection by Khen Nyoshul Rinpoche

Natural Perfection: Longchenpa's Radical Dzogchen

There are many others but these will give you some good information

Tashi Delek !
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Since you like TWR's book you should read Bonpo Dzogchen Teachings by his own teacher, Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche.

Of course the utmost point which cannot be ignored in Dzogchen is that you must find a teacher to enable you to realise the nature of mind, otherwise it's all just prapañca.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

The Crystal and the Way of Light by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
Lobsang Damchoi

Post by Lobsang Damchoi »

Dear Firefly,

I think you've received some good recommendations so far. I would like to suggest that you go easily, tread lightly and don't read too many books! (And me a retired Librarian!! :reading: )

Here's why. If you are too eclectic in your Dzogchen reading then you possibly risk a certain intellectual overload. Also there are some translations out there that you might find confusing or obtuse (I have -- and I wont name names.)
Also, try to stick to the basic introductory books. It seems advisable wait on reading the advanced teachings until you've at least had a direct introduction from a qualified master and established a relationship with him or her. The original Dzogchen tantras (scriptures) can be dense and challenging. Perhaps it's best to read "Words of My Perfect Teacher" (an excellent, "classic" intro to the whole path) before you launch into more specialized Dzogchen books.

Fortunately disciples of masters like Chogyal Namkai Norbu,Trungpa Rinpoche, and Gyatrul Rinpoche have issued some fine translations--Jim Valby, for example (a Norbu disciple and Ati master in his own right) and B. Alan Wallace.

These additional titles, however, come to mind for you:

Dzogchen Teachings / Namkai Norbu
Dzogchen: Heart Essence of the Great Perfection / Dalai Lama XIV

and when you're ready:

Natural Liberation: Padmasambhava's Teachings... / Padmasambhava-Gyatrul Rinpoche
Buddhahood Without Meditation / Dudjom Lingpa

Best of luck --

L.D.
Lobsang Damchoi
firefly

Post by firefly »

Thank you all for your recommendations and sorry for the delay in replying. I will do a little research on the ones you all have mentioned, but as there is no way for me to meet up with a teacher I wonder if I should even try. I don't exactly understand why you have to have an "in person" teacher, although I have seen that is always mentioned. The Ligmincha Institute is close to me but obligations prevent solo travel for the indefinate future. I have been listening to Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's video talks and that's about as close to a real teacher as I can get right now. I will still probably see what I can do on my own. I do know what you mean by intellectual overload, D.L., so I will be wary of that:)
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Garchen Rinpoche frequently give free webcasts and both are great Dzogchen masters. The live webcasts are qualified methods of transmission.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mother's Lap wrote:Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Garchen Rinpoche frequently give free webcasts and both are great Dzogchen masters. The live webcasts are qualified methods of transmission.
:good: I was just in the process of posting that. It is ridiculously convenient to learn Dzogchen these days.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Dzogchen”