So I've attended my first ChNNR open webcast! And now......

Rainboyo

So I've attended my first ChNNR open webcast! And now......

Post by Rainboyo »

So I tuned in last night and I joined in as best I could. Although I felt somewhat stifled by my domestic circumstances (I had to move to the kitchen of our thin-walled, shared house to avoid disturbing my sleeping girlfriend, and it was 3am so proper chanting would definitely have woken up - and probably frightened - my housemates!), so I mainly whispered but I did my best to be engage with the webcast openly and sincerely. I certainly messed up many of the visualisations, but I tried not to let that become a cause of anxiety.

I would really struggle to describe the experience of the moment of introduction, so I don't think I should try here - but it was definitely an experience! And now, fairly predictably I have some questions! (Please let me know if these sorts of questions are inappropriate on a public forum, and do PM me if that would be better):
  • Firstly, and most importantly - now that I have done this, am I now able to start practising Dzogchen? Or is this dependent on whether I 'got it'? I know that I messed up certain parts, so I'm not sure if it counts? Any advice here would be very welcome!
  • If I am able to start practising now, when it comes to resting in the natural state, is it best to:
  • Should I email ChNNR directly for advice? (I don't currently have his email address, nor do I know whether doing this would be appropriate)
I understand that webcast transmission should ideally be followed receiving teachings in person at the earliest opportunity, but at this stage I'm not sure when this will be - Tsoknyi Rinpoche is coming to town soon, but he won't be giving pointing out instruction, and ChNNR is also coming soon but it is quite likely that I will be unable to attend for various reasons.

Any other advice you feel may be appropriate for me at this stage would also be greatly appreciated! Again, please do PM me if that's better for this sort of thing.

Sincerest best wishes and thanks for all your help so far!

Mark
x
bryandavis

Re: So I've attended my first ChNNR open webcast! And now...

Post by bryandavis »

Rainboyo,

Greetings. I am not a very experienced practitioner, but my two cents are:

First and foremost try to connect to a Living Guru. If you are able to attend more webcast by Rinpoche then you should do that. Also seeking advice and clarification from another Dzogchen master that is available to you would be preferable.

Not sure what you experienced, but it would be crucial to have feed back from a qualified teacher regarding what it was that you experienced. If you did indeed get a glimpse of the natural state then that is something to rejoice over.

So now Guru Yoga of the White A and song of the vajra are sort of the "go to" when it comes to the minimal practice.
Having received transmission from Rinpoche, I think that maintaining a daily practice of the Guru Yoga of the white a, is what is needed to keep the bond now established.

When we reach the point of integration with in your practice, that is the time we rest loosely / at ease / open / aware / expansive / natural etc..

If you are grasping and trying to "recall" your initial experience then that is going to be an obstacle. But, now that you might have had a glimpse of that, you know how that state is when you reconnect with it during practice. But really don't sweat "trying" to make it happen.

As many people would say here it would be good to get THE CRYSTAL AND THE WAY OF LIGHT by Rinpoche. That is a great book that explains the Base of Dzogchen very well.

PM me if you have any questions. Of course I am not a qualified teacher and have only been following Rinpoche for a short while.

All the the best,

Bryan.
philji

Post by philji »

Rain oho..if you have opportunity to attend Tsoknyi Rinpoche teachings in London then try to do so.. He has a couple of Togden masters, a rare and authentic yogi lineage with him.. Whether he gives " pointing out" instructions or not.... Making a connection with great teachers is only going to benefit you...
Paul

Post by Paul »

philji wrote:Rain oho..if you have opportunity to attend Tsoknyi Rinpoche teachings in London then try to do so.. He has a couple of Togden masters, a rare and authentic yogi lineage with him.. Whether he gives " pointing out" instructions or not.... Making a connection with great teachers is only going to benefit you...
I've been re-reading his books. They get more profound the more I look at them. A remarkable teacher.

Are you coming to Bruton, Phil?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
philji

Post by philji »

Paul. I am afraid not. Will be going to Erik's teachings and Chokyi Nyima's... So far they are my main two retreats... Maybe Tsoknyi's in London but. Not sure...

Return to “Dzogchen”