Including other practices before dedication in Short Tun?

Hansei

Including other practices before dedication in Short Tun?

Post by Hansei »

Does anybody know if it is okay to include other practices before the dedication of merits in the Short Tun?

For instance; after Dopa, doing the short version of Mandarava (starting from Guruyoga), then Odzer Chenma, and then the dedication of merits.
haak0n

Re: Including other practices before dedication in Short Tun

Post by haak0n »

I think its a little too much. Wrathful practice + mandarava or oser chenma doesnt sound like a good combination.
My suggestion is to break up your sessions accordingly, but this is only my opinion.
Finney

Post by Finney »

haak0n wrote:I think its a little too much. Wrathful practice + mandarava or oser chenma doesnt sound like a good combination.
My suggestion is to break up your sessions accordingly, but this is only my opinion.
Actually, it's quite common to do both in a thun. When discussing practice with different lamas (who are not part of the DC) I've heard various peaceful/wrathful combinations: yamantaka and tara, vajrakilaya and chenrezig, etc. If you're not confident in your lha'i nga rgyal (divine pride), though, I could see not wanting to do both kinds in one sitting.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hansei wrote:Does anybody know if it is okay to include other practices before the dedication of merits in the Short Tun?

For instance; after Dopa, doing the short version of Mandarava (starting from Guruyoga), then Odzer Chenma, and then the dedication of merits.
Yes, you are free and there is no problem with this at all.
haak0n

Post by haak0n »

Finney wrote:
haak0n wrote:I think its a little too much. Wrathful practice + mandarava or oser chenma doesnt sound like a good combination.
Actually, it's quite common to do both in a thun. When discussing practice with different lamas (who are not part of the DC) I've heard various peaceful/wrathful combinations: yamantaka and tara, vajrakilaya and chenrezig, etc. If you're not confident in your lha'i nga rgyal (divine pride), though, I could see not wanting to do both kinds in one sitting.

I think its the opposite. When I first started in the DC I always wanted to do a little of many different practices every day for their relative benefits.
Now I more feel like 'one practice covers all'. Thats more confidence no?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

haak0n wrote:
Finney wrote:

I think its the opposite. When I first started in the DC I always wanted to do a little of many different practices every day for their relative benefits.
Now I more feel like 'one practice covers all'. Thats more confidence no?
We have different conditions, so we work with circumstances.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Thank you all.

Return to “Dzogchen”